1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley Sherrod sues Andrew Breitbart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.salon.com/news/andrew_breitbart/?story=/politics/war_room/2011/02/13/sherrod_sues_andrew_breitbart

I'm not sure what her chances are. I guess it would depend on whether or not she was a public figure before Breitbart released the video.

I hope she succeeds.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Or whether Breitbart is considered a journalist.

3. mb

mb Active Member

that was really getting fun.

So now we've got d_B for double posting when somebody else has already posted ...

and smallpotatoesing for d_Bing yourself?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I liked the way Secretariat put it better.

5. Smallpotatoes

The first time I tried starting this thread, I didn't think it got through. That's why I started it again.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still can't believe that Breitbart fired her without at least hearing her side of the story. That was fucked up.

7. Smallpotatoes

I see the point you're trying to make, but if Breitbart didn't release that video, she'd still have her job.
    And if any of us did what he did, we'd be fired.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Fired from what - doesn't he work for himself?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's on the administration for firing her.

10. Smallpotatoes

I understand that. I'm just saying the stunt Breitbart pulled wouldn't fly at any legitimate news organization.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think she could make a case that the firing wasn't as big of an injury as being portrayed as a racist. It was a political appointment, she serves at the pleasure of the President.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Whether or not the administation acted rashly is hardly in dispute. But it seems fair to say she has a good chance of proving he libeled her. There was obvious malicious intent from the way the video was edited, and she suffered legitmate harm (in a legal sense) from his claim. He'd be wise to argue she's a public figure and thus the burden of proof is higher, but how dumb the administation was is sort of irelevant. She was still fired (or forced to resign) because of a lie he told with intent to harm, and from the way the video was selectively edited, it doesn't seem to hard to prove he knew it was a lie. That is libel.

Draft saved Draft deleted