1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She won the lottery and will probably die the next day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 5, 2013.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm sure she's just leaving it all to her cat.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Just once I want some recent college grad who is eyeball deep in debt to win a lottery jackpot. It's always someone old.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I remember Letterman had a woman in her early 20s on who had just claimed a crazy jackpot, was nice to see someone that young win it.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

FIFY

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

No husband? Yahtzee!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Apparently the old millionaire is a line-cutter. She better give some of this fortune to the mom, or karma is going to smite her something fierce.

http://gma.yahoo.com/woman-let-powerball-winner-ahead-her-no-regrets-130005843--abc-news-topstories.html

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Guess I can understand why she opted for the lump sum as opposed to the payouts over the next 30 years.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

probate.

nuf said

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Meh.

Work off your loan, learn the value of a dollar . . . and then get lucky down the road.

Success too soon --- especially unearned success --- is usually success unappreciated.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What is the minimum age for winning Powerball and claiming "earned success?"

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Old people aren't the only ones who win the lottery mega-payoffs. Sometimes, it's a group of white collar drudges from the same cubicle nest or warehouse workers or some bunch like who pool their dough to buy tickets. Then come the inevitable nasty squabbles.
    I think it's fascinating that when local TV news does the feature about people buying tickets for the super jackpot drawings, the people always describe what they'd do with the money as if they were winning maybe five million bucks. That's the fiscal ceiling of their imaginations and they're not wrong. Five million free dollars is a lucky unearned reward. Five hundred million dollars is inheriting a new full-time job that's harder than the one you have now.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

No matter the age, how is spending a buck on a blind draw of numbers considered earned success?

Draft saved Draft deleted