1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She throws a perfecto and loses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This is akin to arguing with imaginary numbers. I'd be willing to wager that nobody ever gave thought to whether that wild pitch wipes out a perfect game -- because the possibility didn't enter anyone's mind.

Actually, I think one would have more luck arguing that the error wiped out the perfect game. At least there's precedent for that, although it wouldn't have been an "advance" error.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll ask again.

Take the wild pitch/error out of the equation.

Runner is placed on second, steals third and home.

No errors are made. No pitches are wild. No balls are passed.

Perfect game?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No perfect game.

I might've told this story here before. I once threw a no-hitter and lost in a summer league game. Walked the first batter in the bottom of the ninth and the second baseman made back-to-back errors. Lost 1-0. I still hate that fucking guy.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's perfect because the pitcher prevented everyone from reaching base. There was literally nothing the pitcher could do to prevent another runner from getting on in extra innings because the rule is stupid.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just had this thought. It's kind of a stream of consciousness, so it may not make much sense. Another way to say perfect game is you make all possible outs without fail. So every hitter is retired without fail. So the stolen base is a possible out that is not made. She may have retired 24 hitters in a row but they got outs on 24 out of 25/26 plays.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Passed ball is an error charged to the catcher.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Why did you walk the batter?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Another example: The runner placed on second advances to third on a sacrifice bunt and scores on a groundout*. Perfect game?

*-For example, in the bottom of the 8th after the visiting team scores 2 in the top half.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's your own fault for walking the guy. Winners win.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jim Bibby

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What the hell you got against the square root of -1?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ernie Shore.

Draft saved Draft deleted