1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She gave birth and the players were tired???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by girl friday, Mar 14, 2007.

1. girl friday

girl friday Member

When I gave birth all I wanted to do was eat a pizza and sleep...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20070314-0641-odd-bouncingbaby.html

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The Nebraska-Kearney basketball team didn't mind that coach Carol Russell was a little late for the game.

Five hours after giving birth to her first child, Russell was back on the bench and encouraging her players in the North Central Region basketball tournament.

“I could have watched the Webcast, but I wanted to be there for the girls because they've been working so hard for this all year,” Russell said.

Russell's presence didn't help the team. North Dakota beat the Lopers 108-75 for the regional championship Monday night and advanced to the NCAA Division II tournament in Kearney, Neb.

Russell said her team seemed tired in the second half. Tired was something she could relate to.

“I usually stand up the whole game but I didn't have the energy,” said the 35-year-old Russell, who's in her fifth year as coach.

Russell, who had permission from doctors to attend the game, arrived early in the first half. Assistant coach Tim Connealy took over most of the coaching duties while Russell provided mostly “input and encouragement.”

“I was about 3 minutes late,” Russell said. “I'm always on my kids about being late, but I guess they understood why I was.”

Newborn Isaac bounced in at 6 pounds, 14 ounces earlier on Monday.

Isaac may have a permanent reminder about his time in North Dakota, Russell said.

“My family is kidding me about naming him Dakota,” Russell said. “We're still searching for a middle name and that's an option.”

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's pretty amazing.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And insane. Tournament of no tournament, mom needs to stay in bed.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

HMO probably kicked her to the curb anyway.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I see a lot of missed piano recitals and school plays for that baby.

"Hey, mom. I'm getting married next Saturday."
    "Yeah, about that. There's a tournament in Fargo..."

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If the kid was born in Grand Forks his middle name should be "Frenchy."

Much better option than "Whitey."

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Only if it was a C-section.

8. girl friday

girl friday Member

freelance -- when was the last time you gave birth??

yes what she did was easier because she didn't have a c-section, but it's pretty damn impressive. labor and delivery is exhausting

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It was a joke. My apologies for not using the sarcasm font.

My wife had a C-section and I remember how painful it was for her to get out of bed and that was eight hours after the operation.

10. girl friday

girl friday Member

sorry for jumping on you then ::)

having gone through the experience (and never wanting to go through it again), it's obviously something i'm passionate about. luckily, i didn't have a c-section, but my daughter was 8lbs, 6oz with a huge head and she came out pointing the way -- with her right index finger

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good thing you're not in Vietnam. You'd be back in the rice paddy an hour after birth. :)

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I heard it was her middle finger and she could goddam well take care of herself!

Draft saved Draft deleted