1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She doesn't think she's beautiful

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 19, 2013.

1. I read this blog post earlier today. It nearly made me cry. And oh so thankful I have boys!
    I had some other mothers tell me they have dealt with very similar issues with their daughters.
    Wow.

http://theintelligencer.net/page/blogs.detail/display/1459/She-doesn-t-think-she-s-beautiful.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What? This isn't a One Direction thread? :D

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My brain went to Sammy Kershaw.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lisa: [sobbing] I'm ugly, dad.

Homer: No you're not. You're cute as a bug's ear.

Lisa: Fathers have to say that.

Homer: [as Grampa walks by] Dad, am I cute as a bug's ear?

Grampa: No, you're homely as a mule's butt!

Homer: [to Lisa] See?

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a dick, but...

Does anyone reading it actually believe that conversation actually took place? Because I don't. 7 year olds don't talk like that. Painfully bad literary devices talk like that.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ditto.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Which is more tragic, that a 7-year-old doesn't think that she's beautiful, or that a 7-year-old has had any hope of a private life stolen by her mother's making her into fodder for a blog?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The 7-year-old is a 6.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if a 7-year-old would say that. It never came up in our house. I have two daughters, and at that age one of them was absolutely certain she was the most beautiful creature who ever lived and the other didn't seem to care at all as long as she could kick your ass on the soccer field.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

God, that was embarrassingly badly written. Cringingly awful

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds like she ran into a child that picked on her by making fun of her looks.

That could have brought about these feelings.

12. That was the impression I got ... as I stated earlier, I had two mothers on FB state the same thing with their kids, who are also close to that age.

I know the writing is not the best - had it I wanted to highlight it, I would have put on the journo board. I'm more interested in kids dealing with this at an early age ...
    As the fellow whose kid brother splattered his 15-year-old brains all over the bedroom one Sunday morning, something like this from one my kids would scare the shit out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted