1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawnee News-Star opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, May 20, 2008.

1. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

JOB TITLE: Sports page designer/sports reporter
    CITY: Shawnee, OK
    SALARY: Competitive
    COMPANY: The Shawnee News-Star
    DESCRIPTION: The Shawnee News-Star, an award winning, six-day, daily morning community paper, has an opening in its newsroom for a person to design sports pages, help with design of inside pages as needed, and provide coverage of local and area high school and college sports as assigned. The person filling this position should have a minimum of two years of college, be knowledgeable of all sports, be able to design sports pages, other pages and be able to write sports stories. This person should have experience in designing pages and writing sports stories either at the college level or for another newspaper, preferably daily or weekly.
    CONTACT: Interested candidates should send copies of their resumes and samples of work to either Mike McCormick, executive editor, or Fred Fehr, sports editor, at P.O. Box 1688, Shawnee OK,74802 or fax them to 405-273-4207 to their attention. They also may be e-mailed to michael.mccormick@news-star.com or fred.fehr@news-star.com

Anyone know about this paper? How much do they cover oklahoma state? Good staff?

2. It looks like they cover Oklahoma Baptist, mostly. If they cover the Big 12, I think Shawnee is geographically closer to OU than OK State, it's about 30 miles east of Oklahoma City. All I could find on their website was one series between the rivals at OKC this weekend. Other than that, it was mostly Oklahoma Baptist.

3. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Met Fred Fehr a few times when I was in southern Oklahoma about a decade ago. Good people.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Would've been a pretty fun job a couple of years ago when that Tucker Brown mess went down.

5. Yes. That was a mess.
    I know very little about the paper, but in my limited dealings with Fred Fehr, he's seemed like a really good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted