1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawn Chacon, meet Mr. Knight and Mr. Sprewell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was mentioned on the baseball thread, but figured it deserved its own. Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon joins Bobby Knight, Latrell Sprewell, and the 2004 Yankees on the list of all-time great chokers.
    One of the few times I can remember an athlete being this open about what happened, too, and not pulling the "It was a just a clubhouse misunderstanding" card. Maybe he figures since he's done with the Astros one way or the other, he might as well talk.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5857104.html

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It was posted yesterday. Let me find the link.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57916/

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I saw it. Dammit. ABORT! ABORT!

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Who cares? It's Shawn Chacon and Ed Wade.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but the original thread had a dumbass title and a dumbass comment inside of it.

This story fucking amazes me. I mean, what was Chacon thinking? And his nonchalance and dickheadedness both during and after amaze me too.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

We tried to do a sit-down with him last year, but had to shoot it with his face only because he refused to take off a shirt that said "Support Single Moms". And it had a picture of a pole dancer.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The guy is an idiot. Actually has decent stuff, but he choked away his career.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The AP story or one that I read today made it seem like Mr. Wade was trying to show Chacon up inside the public locker room.
    While I don't condone the behavior of Chacon, it appears that Mr. Wade might have handled the situation better.
    Berating a man to "come to the office!" over and over and over is petty and childish and incorrect - be it in front of the rest of the team in a locker room.
    Bad situation all around.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Story I saw said that Cooper told Chacon to come into the office, and he refused. Then Wade told him to come into the office and got the same response.

I don't think the request was unreasonable, given that Chacon works (well, worked) for the Astros.

Don't quite understand how that translates into Chacon being "shown up" inside the "public locker room."

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Slightly different story among some Houston sources...

In an interview, Chacon claims he was eating in the dining area near the clubhouse when Wade approached him and told him he and Coop needed to meet with him in Coop's office. Chacon's own words...on tape...have him telling Wade he didn't want to go there and whatever he had to say to him, Wade should say right there where he was standing.

Chacon then claims Wade started yelling and cursing at him, and Chacon stood up and basically told Wade to get out of his face. Wade wouldn't back down and Chacon knocked him down and jumped on him.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's the story we ran today. I thought it was pretty interesting.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Houston Chronicle says:

<i>According to Chacon, he was in the dining room after batting practice when Cooper asked him to come to his office.

"I said, 'What do you want to speak to me about?' " Chacon said. "He said, 'We just want to talk to you.' I said, 'Anything you can say, you can say to me right here. I don't want to go to the office.' He looked at me, and I said, 'There's nothing for me to say to you guys.' And I don't think whatever they had to say to me they were going to make me happy. I didn't want to get in a closed-room conversation."</i>

Unless he thought they were going to de-pants him, I can't think of a single logical reason he would have for not going into the office at the manager's request.

Draft saved Draft deleted