1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaving woes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lucky people ... can't shave that often and when I do, it destroys my face.

Fortunately, it's a face made for radio, anyway ...

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

goddamnit that was funny

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Try butter. I hear it gives a smooth shave.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I've had a goatee for years. At my last job, while I was waiting for the official go-ahead to turn in my two-week notice, I grew out a full beard. Was actually pretty nice, not having to waste a few minutes each morning shaving. Though it was a pain when I had to shave it all off with the electric razor.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Someone said enjoy shaving. I can't recall ever having enjoyed a shave. I get razor burn on my neck something fierce.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the only time in my life I enjoyed shaving was when I went to "Joy of Shaving" in Vegas at a friend's bachelor party.

The barber or whatever you want to call him pulls out a balloon, blows it up, ties it and then pulls out a huge razor. He then covers the balloon in shaving cream and shaves the balloon in about five seconds, while talking the whole time. Then, he intentionally popped the balloon with the razor.

As I've said before, I have a pretty thick beard and I hadn't shaved in about three days at the time. After the guy was done, I didn't have to shave for at least 3-4 days, which is unheard of for me.

I know most of us can't spend $15-$20 on a shave, but it was definitely an experience. I'd do it again if there was someone locally who did it.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not exactly the bachelor party story I was expecting.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That might have been the worst bachelor party story ever. Let's all go to Vegas and go get an expensive shave! I hope there was an "after shave."

9. Mizzougrad96

Yes, that was not the end of the party, but this is a shaving thread, not a "What are the best steakhouses and strip clubs in Vegas?" :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The point was, when I saw "bachelor party" and "Joy of Shaving", the story didn't exactly live up to the expectations from those phrases. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. printdust

printdust New Member

My beard gets coarser as I get older. The old Bic throwaway doesn't work as well. Believe or not, I went to a ladies razor that went deeper than my Bic did on any occasion. But these cost more and it's worn out after two shaves. I can remember when the yellow Bic would last more than a week.

12. Mizzougrad96

I use a Gillette Fusion and each blade usually lasts 3-4 weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted