1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharks! Swim for your life!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Italian_Stallion, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I turned on CNN for the first time in weeks. The first story I see is a "breaking news" story. A cameraman is filming a shark in the water of Fort Lauderdale's coast. I figure a giant shark ate a family of four. Reality? Well, there's a shark in the water. That's it. There's a shark in the water, and they decided to close the beach because, you know, sharks eat people. If this is news, wait until the find out about bears and alligators and mountain lions, etc.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Nothing new about closing a part of the beach when a shark is spotted. But it ain't news until it at least takes a bite out of someone's surfboard.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Beats another car chase on the 101, I suppose.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The key phrase here is "cameraman is filming." It's television. If there's footage, it's news.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

It looked like a damn big shark. I was in the water on Saturday, though, and I went in knowing there were sharks in the water. Someone is nipped once or twice a week this time of year. But 1 out of 20,000 is pretty good odds, and the attacks are usually just on the legs or feet.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My wife and I last night had to instruct my kids -- who are collectively going through a MAJOR shark phase right now (right down to petting sharks at the Indianapolis Zoo) -- that next time we're at the ocean, DON'T play "pretend there's a shark in the water." Specifically, we had to tell our 5-year-old son that even if a whale shark would never bite a human, that subtlety would be lost on the masses ape-shitting their way out of the water.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I blame the Fonz.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Now that would be worth filming.

Keep us posted on your next planned trip to the ocean.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

NO I CAN'T STOP YELLING, THAT'S HOW I TALK. YOU AIN'T NEVER SEEN ONE OF MY MOVIES? DEEP BLUE SEA, MOTHFUCKER! THEY ATE ME! A FUCKING SHARK ATE ME!!!!!!

[​IMG]

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Car chases on the LA freeways are so 1994. Call me when CHP is chasing a shark on the 101.

11. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I resent that!

12. joe

joe Active Member

Don't you worry about your
    day-glow orange life preserver
    It won't save you,
    It won't save you,
    Swim for the shore
    just as fast as your are able
    Swim ...