1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's unfathomable that the NBA writers fucked up the 2004-05 MVP ballot like they did.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the nba should institute a policy of fining anyone who compares anyone to jordan. no one is the next jordan. even if wade or lebron surpasses his airness' six rings, jordan was jordan.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly, 'Bron will win multiple rings. Where not looking at the Jordan of this era in Wade. Were sort of looking at the Larry Bird vs. Magic Johnson of this era in LBJ and Wade. Wade is great and all, but I don't even think he's the best in the league. But I have to say this to all NBA fans. Let's just step back and REALLY look at this. I am very excited to see the NBA back. When LeBron wins his first championship, the NBA will have a chance to surpass the NFL.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think LeBron will find it difficult enough to win just one title. Nothing against him; that's just the reality of the situation he's in.

1. His team is nowhere near championship quality at present.

2. It won't have a high draft pick anytime soon.

3. Cleveland is not exactly a hot free-agent destination. Nor is it a place that, say, Shaquille O'Neal would have agreed to go to in 2004.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

1. The Cavaliers will be back in the playoffs next season with 13 more playoff games' experience under their collective belts than they had a few months ago. As we saw this year, anything can happen in the playoffs. (Miami over Dallas? Really? Did anybody pick that?)

2. A lack of high draft picks has never completely hindered teams before. There are, after all, still good players after the first 10 or 15 picks. Utah, for example, drafted Andrei Kirilenko No. 24 overall in 1999; Portland and Cleveland drafted Jermaine O'Neal and Zydrunas Ilgauskas Nos. 17 and 20, respectively, in 1996; and Golden State picked Latrell Sprewell No. 24 in 1992. Those are the best examples, but if memory serves correct, they have all been All-Stars and have played big roles on good teams.

3. Everybody wants to play for a winner, right? If a player feels his best opportunity to win a ring is in Cleveland, I'm sure he'll have no qualms about signing with the Cavaliers. (Look at the players the team signed last off-season — Larry Hughes, Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall — with only LeBron as a selling point. The Cavaliers hadn't made the playoffs for seven years and they still managed to sign three decent players. To quoth Tony Bennett, the best, I think, is yet to come.)

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was why I said I would take the freakish big man over 95 percent of the small forwards/shooting guards everyone gets all excited about. Obviously Jordan was the exception. None of these guys are Jordan. I remember writing something right after Jordan retired (before he came back). The league was in a bit of a malaise. Rather than market the game, they were trying to market the players, the way they had with Jordan and before that Bird and Magic. The thing is, Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter or Kevin Garnett weren't Jordan. And not even the slickest NBC promo could make fans care.

To me, it seems like the same thing is happening with a whole new batch of players. Dwayne Wade and LeBron James and Kobe are great players, but they are not Babe Ruths (inserted for the benefit of Whitlock) the way that Jordan was. Physically some of those guys may be Jordan's equal, maybe even better, but Jordan had a one in a million competitive instinct and will to win that made him special. Overall, the level of talent in the NBA is better than ever. And there's nothing wrong with enjoying the game's best players. But let's all get some perspective.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know Shaq was traded.

But HE was the one who was in position to say  where he would (and wouldn't) go. Ultimately, it was Shaq's call.

He came to Miami because of its glamour quotient and because of Wade. Not because "that's where the Lakers traded me to."

Sure, the Cavs can make smart personnel decisions. They HAVE to. They just don't get the free pass of being a hot destination like some teams do. They simply have to work harder, be smarter.

Winning a title is hard. It's not impossible for LeBron. Just harder than it would be if he were somewhere else (or with a more talented team).

Lots of terrific players advanced to the Finals without ever winning a title. Other terrific players (Jerry West) barely achieved one.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I don't see the NBA ever catching the NFL. But you're right, Chuck, it's starting to look a helluva lot more interesting than it did five years ago. A lot of individual talent, and some great teams. This was fun Finals to watch. Not the Best Ever!, but fun to watch. I'm sensing enthusiasm for the NBA rekindling a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted