1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SHAQ TWEETS, "I'M RETIRING"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jun 1, 2011.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x1293702056/Shaquille-ONeal-tweets-Im-retiring

Wondered if he would after this season. Discuss.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Shaq was awesome.

I'm probably forgetting someone, but this is the first basketball megastar -- maybe any major pro sport, unless you count that douchebag Favre -- drafted in the 90s to retire due to age/ineffectiveness.

Don't know about the folks here between, say, 29 and 34, but his makes me feel kind of old. I mean, I remember loading up on Shaq and Alonzo Mourning rookie cards back in the day and it really doesn't seem like that long ago.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tell Shaq I said, "Ching chang ching choing chow..."

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Would like to see him added to the TBS set with Barkley. Great entertainment possibilities there.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I remember when he joined the Lakers -- the day before the start of the Atlanta Olympics.

Three titles, a big-time circus and reams and reams of fantastic quotes. His number will go up on the Staples wall.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah. Chuck, The Jet and Shaq. Dump C-Webb, he is lame.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the all-time great quotes... I remember talking to a guy who covered him for several seasons and I asked him, "How can you tell when he's joking and when he's serious?" and he said, "I'm still trying to figure that out."

I always found him very pleasant to deal with.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I can still remember having a fantasy draft with my buddies in college right before Shaq's rookie year. Mind you, we are talking about Jordan in his prime, David Robinson, Barkley, etc. Shaq was taken with the first pick of the draft.

What kind of a loser am I that we were playing fantasy basketball that far back? That league finally broke up two years ago but, for a long time, it was going strong.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Griffey Jr. debuted in 1989, so he's on the edge of that as well. Feeling older by the day.

Adrian Dantley played on seven.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I saw Griffey many times ... when he was at Single A San Bernardino.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Didn't he retire three years ago or does it just seem that way :)

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Yes. I meant that since he debuted in 1989, he was close to the mega-star from the 1990s who has retired because he's too old.

Draft saved Draft deleted