1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq rap disses Kobe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Jun 23, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Don't really see where he furthered any negative stereotypes. I don't think anything less of him now than I did before. He's a millionaire with a sense of humor. It'd be no different if you won the lottery, became famous, had a few too many drinks and told a joke about former coworker who tried to get you fired.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

How do you tie the use of the word among African Americans to the struggle of racial equality?

The word could completely disappear and it would do NOTHING to enhance racial equality. Let's stop fooling ourselves.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Shaq is hilarious. Some fantastic lines in that rap.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If your idea of a sense of humor is to get up in front of people, blame some guy for your divorce, call him a racial epithet and ask him how your rear end tastes...gee, you're funny.

As for your analogy…I guess it depends on the joke, doesn't it.

O'Neal's rap is sickening and offensive to me, but apparently it's more important to protect the sovereign creative rights of an "MC" than endorse something as novel as civility.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

You think? It's a fact. The only thing holding the NBA back from becoming a powerhouse is the reffing situation, which is a pretty big one.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Sickening?

Get out more.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No thanks...I'll continue to fool myself into thinking that admonishing anyone for using such an awful, hurtful word actually helps reduce the thoughts and behavior behind said use.

I'll shoot for common sense and you shoot for...whatever.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

the behavior behind the word wasn't initiated or triggered by the word unless you can show otherwise.

Have you ever read the writings of many of the Civil Rights pioneers in this country?  Did their personal use of the n-word prevent them from getting some semblance of racial equality they fought for?

I bet you believe Shaq and his generation were the first to use the word amongst each other.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To...what? The big wide world of racism?

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

racism isnt' tied to a single "word" as it's been dumbed down over the years. Racism, as it relates to this country's history, is tied to thepartitioning of economic and educational opportunities. No lone "word" has the ability to do that, the actions of people do.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

William Wells Brown, Wallace Thurman, James Baldwin...Shaquille O'Neal. Yeah, I can see that.

12. lono

lono Active Member

I'd love to watch Berman turn to Screamin' A and ask, "How does my ass taste?"

Draft saved Draft deleted