1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq is a Cleveland Cavalier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Shaq and Z can share tips on defending the pick and roll.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because at this point Wallace just wants to retire, so the Suns can buy him out cheap. At the trade deadline they would have had to pay him. This is strictly a salary dump for Phoenix, and it's a cheaper deal for them now.

3. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Anyone who thinks this is a bad deal in any way is stupid. Period. They gave up nothing, they now have more than 30 million coming off the books next year, not including LeBron, and can sign an additional max player (Bosh, Wade, Amare) and he gives them a better shot at a title THIS YEAR before his deal comes off the books. It's a no-brainer.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Instant upgrade in the post for Cleveland. And, if it does not work out for any reason, Cleveland has a 20 million expiring contract it could trade at the deadline. This is a low risk, high reward trade for Cleveland.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is the last stop for O'Neal. He's what, 37, now?

Won four NBA titles and an Olympic gold medal. Hall of Famer. Not much else to prove.

6. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

True. The more I think about it, the more it does make sense and is completely reasonable.

However, if they don't add an athletic wing to fill the lanes and run with LeBron - in sense, a No. 2 perimeter guy - I don't believe this Cavs team is much better than last year's, and I still think, if healthy, Boston is better and the Magic will be better, with or without Hedo now that VC is on board.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

A large part of his motivation to keep playing seems to be wanting to beat Kobe. For no other reason than this, I have a great deal of fondness for Shaq.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I think he wanted to go back to the Lakers, but they wanted no part of it.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Though I like the move for Cleveland, it should be noted ... Shaq did do an awful lot of bitching about his touches in PHX.

So long as Cleveland wins, it should be cool. If they start losing, Shaq will probably commence with his "Give me the damn ball" routine again.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If he hasn't already, Shaq needs to get over the whole Kobe bit. Don't let the punk rent space in your head.

But, yeah, Shaq has always been a primary offensive option. Can he ever be happy in a system where he is not? Most aging stars seem to find that hard to do.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Mark, based on your recent posting history, I'd say the less you speak about basketball the better. Shaq has not been his team's primary offensive weapon in years. Not even close in Phoenix, Wade always trumped him in Miami, and Kobe got a slight nod over him his last couple years in LA.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Stoney: Couldn't agree more. I believe this will work out better than most pundits are speculating.

And the Cavaliers have both of their exceptions to use, starting Wednesday.

More moves to come.

Draft saved Draft deleted