1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq is a Cleveland Cavalier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Shaq's on the decline, but he had a pretty good year this past season. I think he'll be motivated by a potential Lakers-Cavs Finals matchup. Good trade for the Cavs.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

lol

Now that I think more about it, Moses Malone bounced a ton as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

LBJ is Don Vito Corleone.

Look, these playoffs showed that the Cavs are likely not going to win a title as constructed. Not many free agents will take less than market unless LBJ decides to resign. So a player with a one year expiring deal is probably this best option, even if he is going to be a huge distraction at times. Let's see if he stays healthy.

Does this mean that the suns are in "blow it up" mode and Nash is in play?

4. Castaway

Castaway New Member

I'm not sure Shaq has a problem taking a backseat to Lebron at this point---didn't he do it in Miami and in Phoenix, where he was more like the third guy than second (at least when Stoudemire was healthy)? I don't think that will be a problem. Good move by Cleveland---maybe it gets them over the top next year, and more importantly helps to keep James from leaving as a free agent when able.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bob McAdoo played for seven teams in 14 NBA seasons (Braves, Knicks, Celtics, Nets, Pistons, Lakers, Sixers).

And he's a Hall of Famer, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I would think so. I suspect Nash and/or Stoudemire could be had for the right offer, possibly as early as today.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

One thing that Lebron has shown as a pro is the willingness to set up his teammates, especially early in the game. The less he has to take over the better. I honestly thing he would be happy averaging 20 ppg if it meant a title instead of 30 without it.

Sure Shaq is getting slower, but he is such a bigger body than Z, Wallace and Moptop that he will be better defensively. The big key is that somebody has to guard him. Even though he can't make free throws, it wouldn't be awful to sit the opposing big man down in foul trouble early.

Most importantly. . . think what this acquisition is going to do to the crime rate in Cleveland. Shaq will be undercover in the projects trying to break the drug flow. Maybe they can do something about the corrupt politicians.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Classic. This should be the litmus test for any trade. :)

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Shaq won't have any effect on whether LeBron leaves a year from now. LeBron's not going to base a decision on his long-term future on a guy who's probably only a one-year Cav.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

True. Nice work, SID.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Shaq doesn't hurt their fast-break any more than Wallace did or I-don't-have-one-real-bone-left-in-my-feet Z does. So, it's probably a wash from that aspect.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that O'Neal didn't know about the trade until some twitterer messaged him and asked if it was true.

Draft saved Draft deleted