1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shane Mosley is back, if he ever left

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 11, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

PBF would destroy Cotto, no contest.

Margarito is a different story. PBF couldn't dream of hurting Margarito, and Margaritio's height and activity would definitely bother PBF. The proper comparison for Margarito is not a bigger Corrales, it's a bigger Castillo, who gave PBF all he could handle in their first fight.

Yes, Margarito punches wide, but he throws so many punches that he smothers guys. PBF is scared to death of Margarito, as well he should be. PBF might well beat him, but Margarito has the style and the size to give PBF fits, and he knows it.

I can't wait to see Margarito fight Paul Williams. That is going to be a great fight. And if Margarito beats Williams, Cotto is next. Cotto is an easier fight for Margarito than Williams is going to be. Margarito will blow up Cotto's chin some time during that fight.

I love talking boxing, man. :)

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Uncle_buck: Jeff Lacy is also on that overrated bus with Ricky Hatton. Lacy's from the area and to a man my friends and I all called that destruction a week before it happened (got great odds on it too). You're right about his late-blooming status and his injury history but Lennox Lewis was a late bloomer too.

Rokski: Why is anyone drinking this Margarito Kool-Aid is well beyond me. Yeah he's tall and he's slow as shit. PBF couldn't hurt him with a single punch (he couldn't hurt anyone with a single punch) but after he connects on about 115 per round over 8 rounds it's going to get tedious and annoying. Margarito might win as many rounds against PBF at Gatti did (and that's a resounding zero).

Paul Williams will dispatch of him before the 8th round and he'll balloon up into the bigger weight classes. Mark it down.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

how does mosley fare against ray leonard or tommy hearns, circa 1981?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Depends on whether he would enjoy sipping soup from a straw.

No ... not fair to say that against Leonard. Ray would just pick him apart in a unanimous, 120-108 decision.

Hearns would hurt him.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

henry:

IMO:

Hearns is too tall for Mosley, and it would be like Vernon Forest versus Mosley, except (like shotglass says) Hearns would probably lower the boom on Mosley (who does have an excellent chin)

Leonard vs Mosley would be a great fight, IMO. Two guys with outstanding handspeed and good power, although Leonard carried more power going up in weight than Mosley did. I'd have to pick Leonard, as shotglass did. I might not make it a shutout in rounds, but I'd say something like 8-4 or 9-3 in rounds.

nafselon - A lot of people feel as you do about Williams vs Margarito. They've sparred some, and it has been said that Williams got the better of those sessions. That has also been refuted, predictably, by the Margarito camp. I think it's going to be an exciting fight, and I wouldn't be surprised if both fighters go down. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have Margarito inside of the distance, myself. Williams is an awesome, freakishly tall (for the division) talent, but I think he doesn't have enough experience yet to hang with Margarito. Should be a great fight, either way. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted