1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shame On You Peter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 10, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It must be parody.
    Boom spelled everything correctly.

2. girl friday

girl friday Member

I know he gets picked on, but anyone see this week's MMQB?

Aside from at least five typos, there's this nugget at the end:

g. iPod Download of the Week: Fellow SI.commer John Donovan suggested Corinne Rae Bailey, and I have complied. Quite Norah Jonesish. Good call, Johnny.

Child's name is Corinne Bailey Rae. But what do we expect from someone who just discovered this newfangled ipod thing two weeks ago...

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Loved the part in today's MMQB where King says that, the NFL's decision to postpone the game notwithstanding, "the Chinese would have put on a fine show this summer."

Clearly, only the most accomplished of scribes could patronize and be a bootlicker at the same time. Thanks, PK, and please pass the sweet and sour pork.

4. girl friday

girl friday Member

goalmouth -- to me, that wasn't the only ass-kissing statement in that lead item...

"And though the Chinese would have put on a fine show this summer, doing it with more preparation time two years later -- particularly in a stadium that critics are already saying will be the finest outdoor sports venue in the world -- fits more into the NFL's vision of what its China debut should be."

"The NFL rarely is caught with its pants down on a major story like this one."

"And it soon became apparent, particularly with the England game being a regular-season one, that it would be impossible for each game to be the standard NFL production. Which is to say, big and brassy."

I discussed this with someone last night, and as he said, there is some amount of ass-kissing that comes with becoming a big-time national writer like PK is, but at times it seems he has elevated it to an art form...

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a little off topic, but why was the China game cancelled?

6. girl friday

girl friday Member

According to the NFL's official release, it's because they want to focus all of their energies on the regular-season game between the Giants and Dolphins in London. That game was finalized after the China game was, and obviously a regular season game outside the US is more important than a preseason game.

Also, Olympic Stadium in Beijing won't be finished by August, and the Pats-Seahawks game would have been played in Workers Stadium, which as I understand is old. Now the game can be played in gleaming Olympic Stadium in 2009.

Don't think Belichick is broken up over it either -- if I recall, his quote at the time was, "I could care less about China. All I care about is Cincinnati." None of the Pats players were particularly excited about it...

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Hey there gf--dug through the quotes and found this (with the question coming from the man, Danny Pires, if memory serves.)

Q: What are your thoughts on going to China next year?
    BB: Right now, I really couldn’t care less about China, or any place else. Cincinnati, that’s the only destination I’m really concerned with right now. I don’t really care about anything else right now. That stuff is so far in the future that I don’t know if China will be there a year from now. I don’t know if I’ll be there a year from now. Right now, all I care about is Cincinnati and that’s plenty.

8. girl friday

girl friday Member

cc -- yup, that sounds like the BB we know and love...

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

"I don't know if China will be there a year from now."

What a grumpy old fart.

Draft saved Draft deleted