1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shakeup in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sports editor Joe Hawk, city editor Mary Hynes, features editor Frank Fertado, business editor Jim Wright, art director Ched Whitney and managing editor Charlie Zobell all let go.

Yikes.

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/08/15/las-vegas-review-journal-lays-off-5-editors-art-director/

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How many pesos did that save?

3. Provonian

Provonian New Member

In a former life (or less than a year ago), I worked in this newsroom. They seem to be letting go a ton of talent, and it's really a shame. My sources tell me there would be a lot of coin saved -- if the laid off editors apply for the new positions, and therefore forfeit their buyout.

I'm sitting here, wondering about the legal ramifications of that stance. Does applying for a new job decrease a severance package?

Regards, it's a sad, sad day in Las Vegas. These are some remarkably talented people, and they will surely be missed at the R-J.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Will the Review-Journal replace the sports editor position? Or is the staff small enough to combine it into another department?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a wholesale purge.

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The sports department has about seven writers. The assistant usually does slotting at night. The copy editors are now supposed to be part of a universal desk.

7. turski7

turski7 Member

Wow. Can't believe they let Hawk go. He's been there forever and a staple in Vegas sports. They also canned Denis Rudner last year, an assistant SE and a good guy. So sad. Looks like they haven't taken Hawk's name off the website as SE either.
    @ Desk — RJ has 10 writers including 3 who write for NevadaPreps.com

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Once again, we see that talent and work ethic have absolutely nothing to do with these decisions. I think we all realize this by now.

9. exed44

exed44 New Member

I heard from a friend there that one name not on the original layoff list but on there now is John Kerr, the editorial page editor, who apparently is married to the city editor. Both of them are now on the layoff list. That's pretty incredible.

10. turski7

turski7 Member

I guess the fallout from the RJ's lawsuit campaign cost these people their jobs.

11. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Oh yeah, forgot about those prep additions.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Another WTF moment for the RJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted