1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shady. Tipping. Badly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 10, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what I've been told, too. I know there are many countries where people do not tip.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Amazing the petty crap that gets manufactured into something in the social media age. Cannot imagine something like this becoming a story 20 years ago.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only because the medium wasn't there for it to be exploited prior to social media. People would have eaten that story up in 1994.

And then tipped 14% for it.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pretty sure standard is 18% now.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If you're against the "shaming" thing that much, why would you even go to a place that has done that in the first place?

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You're a waiter and complain about a millionaire who can't give a decent tip: STFU and get another job. You work a minimum wage job and the corporatists don't want to pay you more: kill those bastards.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think his point might be that he wouldn't.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

To this extent? Yes.

http://freakonomics.com/2013/06/03/should-tipping-be-banned-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Americans are more generous than other nationalities. I had an Italian sex tourist give me a jokingly hard time in a bar in Santiago de Cuba about how much me and all my countrymen were paying the locals to the point where there were now higher expectations.

I explained that I was a Canadian on business, not there for the ladies. He was astounded that I was not partaking.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm dropping him from my fantasy team.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

What league are you in...and can I join this late in the season? :D

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't go to a place like that at all. But if I was in a mood, I'd go just to demonstrate what an entitled jerkoff the person was.

There are lots of professional ways to earn good tips. Shaming on social media isn't one of them. I have serving experience, during which I learned if someone stiffs you, it's for good reason 95 percent of the time and 5 percent because they were dicks.

Draft saved Draft deleted