1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SFC: Byrd ordered HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, Oct 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How are the Giambi responses irrelevant?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

because we have no reason to believe he was cheating any timenear either series and was no factor in them. Byrd &Rogers were crucial parts of it.

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

What's amazing to me is that Rodney Harrison and Shawne Merriman, two star players, get caught doing steroids, and no one -- not the fans, not the media, not the players, not the coaches -- bats an eye.

But if Paul Byrd, who the average baseball fan couldn't pick out of a lineup, gets caught, it's national news.

All because, according to ESPN, we're all supposed to worship the NFL and despise any Major League Baseball that's not played on Sunday nights.

4. CollegeJournalist

If true, this would be a HUGE story for me. Byrd has been one of the more successful hometown kids recently.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

CJ, you contradicted yourself in back-to-back posts.

And to say there was no hue and cry over Merriman and Harrison getting caught for 'roid/HGH use ... you got to be kidding me.

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

There are very few athletes I'd be surprised to hear used PEDs. Why would A-Rod surprise anyone more than any other player?

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I agree that there was a reaction to Merriman and Harrison, but there does seem to be a difference in people's minds between used PEDs in baseball vs. football.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Of course. It's because the NFL dealt with its steroid outrage in the 1980s, Lyle Alzado, etc.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So that's the fuel to Bryd's awesome wind-up. If that's all it takes for him to replicate a pitcher from the early 1900s, I'm OK with it.

10. CollegeJournalist

How? I responded to Chuck's question. Baseball fans will act outraged, then still go to games. Not many are going to just give up following baseball. But you have to acknowledge the difference in coverage the baseball steroid deal gets with the NFL steroid/PED stuff. Yes, I know, the NFL dealt with it in the 80s, but that doesn't mean it isn't still happening. So it's OK for Merriman to serve his suspension and then resume as the face of the Chargers (other than LT)? Meanwhile, there's no evidence of (insert ML player here) taking steroids, but assume away! Right?

In my second post, I just acknowledged that it would be a pretty big story in my hometown, since Byrd is one of the few successful hometown boys in the Majors.

I'm not saying steroids shouldn't be a big story. It's a big issue. It's just funny how the sport viewed as the up-and-comer is portrayed against the sport viewed as the washed-up old guy.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Paul Byrd would be the worst advertisement for steroids ever.

"Want to be a curiously effective junker? Shoot this stuff in your ass."

12. I think it has more to do with this being a bigger story in our business than it is to fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted