1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Chronicle Reporters ... time for jail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Jeff_Rake

Jeff_Rake Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2597854

Too bad.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Sad, but not at all surprising. I'll be more interested to hear how long they'll have to stay behind bars. Eighteen months is a brutally long time.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fucking terrible.

5. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Don't u think 18 months is overly puntative? I am not in favor of sunshine laws (that makes journalists a protected class, and I don't think that is right), but if he was selling drugs and robbing people he will get less time.

18 months, for committing no crime. That is not fair. Why doesn't the government actually do some investigative work. Stop trying to coerce journalists to do their jobs.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

If they throw these two in jail it will just make a mockery out of the whole "fact finding" business that is professional journalism.

7. 5A

5A New Member

I feel the same way.

I'd like to think I would do the same thing in their shoes, but I'm glad I've never had to face those decisions.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fuck.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Good luck to them both, may they keep holding their head high and their lips sealed.

And 18 months is a long time for what they did when you consider in RI the one of the nightclub owners - the one who used to be a reporter - is getting 0 jailtime and his brother is getting 4 years at a minimum security prison from a fire that killed 100.

10. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

C'mon.... federal shield law!

11. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

What is sad is that Conte, Greg Anderson and the guy that created the drugs only got four months in jail, but reporters get 18 months.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They're still free pending their appeal. 18 months is the maximum if the circuit court upholds Judge White's finding.

Draft saved Draft deleted