1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Asian weekly runs "Why I Hate Blacks" column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 27, 2007.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Given FB's track record, it is safe to assume he actually does.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Total lack of tact and common sense. Bad example of being Asian (my mother always told me not to make waves and just get good grades.)

3. No.
    Here are the dots. Connect them at your leisure.
    Usually, when someone writes something about that, he or she can count on a modicum of support from the right based on the fanciful notion that the liberal PC police are keeping us from expressing the same bigotry that earlier generations had a right to spew uninhibited. The problem with this piece is that the Christianity=coercion part is going to prevent a number of possible supporters -- those members of the Right who are also religiously reactionary -- from voicing their support on First Amendment grounds. (And, if you ever want to see a PC reaction, just try criticizing a mainline religious figure in print.) That's all.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe people don't dislike Eng because he's Asian. Maybe people dislike him because he's an *sshole.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It couldn't possibly be that, could it? :)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But you're saying the same thing, just taking a pro forma route the second time around. Most "rightist Christians" are not going to cheer or even indirectly approve of the first two points, even before we get to the part about Christianity. Even without that last point, I think the ACLU would be a lot more likely to get involved in it for the benefit of the columnist than the ACLJ.

7. I didn't say "most." I said, "some," and, believe it or not, there are a lot of people in what we call the Christian Right who are as blackhearted a species of racist as we have in the country. But there is an audience within the American Right -- and there are polemicists who play to it -- who will defend to the death someone's right to shout the N-bomb out a dormitory window. Some of them do so on legitimate First Amendment grounds. Others do it because they think yelling the N-bomb out windows is a good thing to do, period. However, this columnist isn't going to get the support of either of these groups because he equated Christianity with coercion.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To be fair, you didn't say "some" OR "most" -- you said "the," indicating totality. And you're right on one point: there IS an audience within the Religious Right that would cheer their fool heads off for the comments in question. I could probably hook you up with a couple that'll make the worst trolls on this board look like you and JR. I am ALSO of the belief, based on my knowledge of the movement and some of the people in it, that it's a minute percentage of the conservative Christian population, to say nothing of the general population.

But no, he's not going to get much support other than from athiest racists and extreme First Amendment advocates.

9. "Support" an odd word here, too. Nobody's likely to speak up unless this guy gets fired. We'll see, I guess.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Today's update
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/28/BAGFUOCKIQ1.DTL

Editor regrets 'Hate' column
    AsianWeek Editor at large Ted Fang said Tuesday he regrets publishing a controversial column titled "Why I Hate Blacks" in this week's edition but has not decided whether to keep its author, Kenneth Eng, on his staff.

"Whether he will continue is under review," Fang said. "I can say his views are not the newspaper's views. It is very unfortunate that the column got in the paper. It should not have been published."
    San Francisco's Board of Supervisors adopted a resolution Tuesday condemning the column, saying it lowered "the level of public discourse on issues of race."
    AsianWeek editors said they will announce in Friday's edition plans to co-sponsor a town hall-style meeting with the Willie L. Brown Jr. Institute on Politics and Public Service.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

BTW, here's the full column if you want to read it
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/27/MNGTCOBI921.DTL
    [​IMG]

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ted Fang sounds like a made-up name.

Draft saved Draft deleted