1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Asian weekly runs "Why I Hate Blacks" column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/27/HATE.TMP (via Romenesko)

A San Francisco weekly newspaper that bills itself as "The Voice of Asian America" is facing harsh criticism from that very community for publishing a column Friday titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the column, AsianWeek regular contributor Kenneth Eng listed "reasons" to discriminate against African Americans. The piece has been pulled from the newspaper's Web site, but the print edition of the free paper, owned by the politically influential Fang family, was still available in news racks Monday.
    Eng's "reasons" for hating black people include:

-- "Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us."

-- "Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

-- "Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians."

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Somewhere, Clayton Bigsby is smiling.

3. Holy crap.
    First Amendment and all, but, damn. And that "Christianity=coercion" bit at the end isn't going to do them any favors.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

What's going through someone's head when they greenlight a story like that?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In 2004, for an online magazine called Down in the Dirt, he wrote about experiencing racism as an Asian American student at New York University after he "expressed my negative views on America, religion and African Americans."

Wow...he experienced racism after expressing negative views about another race. Views which were very likely racist on their own merit.

And the basis for your complaint is what?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Like any of the rest of it will?

7. No, but the rightist Christians who might otherwise glom onto the anti-PC bandwagon on the racial stuff aren't signing on to that part.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That story is well past the point of PC.

9. I will grant you that. But when the inevitable dungstorm comes down, the author could count on some support from the anti-PC righties. That part about Christianity's going to shortstop that.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Do you honestly think most of even the rightiest of Christians would be doing hosannas over the other anti-black points?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Agreed. I'm not thinking religious groups are going to flock to this guy's defense.

12. boots

boots New Member

This offensive fucker has no defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted