1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Scandal Threatens a Georgia Pastor’s Empire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I should have been more clear.

It's getting covered. In fact, the mainstream press is giving it the attention it deserves.

It's that it's not reverberating around the blogosphere, or receiving the focus of Olbermann or Maddow that is telling.

There were no threads about it on SportsJournalists.com & Starman hadn't weighed in with condemnation.

Long is very anti-gay. He's not only against gay marriage, but is one of the people who tries to "cure" gay people.

I'm waiting for him to be called a hypocrite and for this story to generate the "buzz" it would if the subject were a Republican Congressman from Florida or a Republican Senator from Idaho.

Maybe it will. It's still early and more info will come out.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, did it occur to you that perhaps that's because the story broke right before a weekend and Olbermann and Maddow only do their show on weeknights? Do you think MSNBC should have radically altered its programming with very special weekend Olberman/Maddow hours just because of this story?

I'm not sure what kind of coverage you were expecting. It's gotten plenty from what I've seen. The story's only a few days old and it broke right before a weekend, I'm quite certain Rachel, Keith and the rest will get to it this week.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you care to do comparables to get your knickers in a twist over what media is being unfair to whom, Ted Haggard is a much more applicable example.

4. YankeeFan

False.

The lawsuits were filed on Tuesday & Wednesday:

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Bill Maher talked about this the other night.
    I'm paraphrasing, but what he did was point out how so many of these pastors who are so outspoken against homosexuality turn out to be gay. He said that if a pastor's answer to the question about what he thinks about homosexuality is anything other than "I don't give a shit," he's probably gay.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was just thinking, this broke on WSB early in the week. I remember hearing about it around atlanta and georgia all week.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The story didn't seem to go national until Thursday or Friday. I seem to recall the first couple lawsuits were reported on minimally, and once everyone started suing and Long started blowing off interviews, it picked up steam.

8. YankeeFan

ABC World News Sunday covering it now.

Long did not deny the charges today.

He said, "he's not a perfect man" and that he'd "fight this," but he didn't say the charges weren't true.

I feel bad for his congregation. They're obviously very invested in Long and very loyal to him. This will not be easy on them.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Do as I say. Not as I do."

One of the oldest songs in this particular book.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I feel bad that I can't figure out what assclowns like this say and/or do to get these congregations to fund whatever they want.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Simply telling them exactly/precisely what they want to hear.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Let's be honest - if this dude were white and a part of the conservative christian movement the coverage of this story would be far, far different and it would have been blown way out of proportion by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted