1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex Scandal Threatens a Georgia Pastor’s Empire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Charges haven't been proven yet, but his "Youth Academy" sounds pretty creepy.

Surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet. Why do I think it would be a bigger scandal if it was a Catholic Bishop?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Definitely a case where waiting for all the facts to come out seems like a good idea.

3. mb

mb Active Member

I, for one, know I want my pastor to be driving a Bentley.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The name LongFellows Youth Academy is doing him no PR favors right now.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Looks like money's always been his motivator:

It's a lot easier to enrich yourself when you get to approve your own expense accounts.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Re: Sex Scandal Threatens a Georgia Pastor’s Empire

Yes, what a man of God, spending millions on items for himself, instead of helping the people in his congregation who need the money.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This has been DOMINATING the urban radio morning shows (the only times I listen to the radio) here in town. The top-rated (I think) station actually replayed in entirety an interview they had with the lawyer for the first two guys to come forward, then the statement from Long's lawyer. This could be a long, drawn-out process, but it's not going to end well for anyone, I don't think.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

[/quote]

Oh, it's going to be plenty, plenty big. Story has all the ingredients.
    Greed and moral turpitude . . . get the tar and feathers ready.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Because there's been a massive cover-up by the Catholic Church hierarchy of the countless priests who've committed such acts in multiple countries, maybe? That would be my guess.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Granted. But does that mean anyone who gets himself involved in similar scandals who is of another denomination gets a pass from the same level of criticism?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Excepting the sex charges, lotta parallels to the old Rev. Ike story . . .

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Eddie Long is on the front page of the NYT and lead the national radio news roundup this morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted