1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex between coach and student

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In this particular case, however, if it is true and the player is transferring and no charges have been filed, it's likely that either:

A) The coach and player's family are keeping it under wraps.

B) The school knows and is keeping it under wraps and probably violating state law.

So what is your call to the AD gonna shake out?

I say you keep your eyes and ears open. Keep this in the back of your mind. Maybe ask for the personnel files of all the coaches at that school under some pretense.

But if you go banging in the front door on this you are either giving credence to a lie or getting nowhere because the folks you are asking would be up shit creek if it's true.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that any inquiries you make in a situation like this could end up legitimizing the rumor/accusation even though the evidence is extremely flimsy.

And you definitely do not go to a current or former teammate. These are high school kids. You might as well sneak into the main office and ask the question over the school loudspeaker.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

The girl transferred.

Said it was for personal reasons.

A letter in the mail said it was because she was having an affair with the coach.

I would think that's cause to at least ask a question.

If it's true ... someone out there is just dying to make this info public.

Best case scenario: You break a story and possibly get a sexual offender fired, maybe even charged.

Worst case: You've checked out a rumor.

Failing to see the downside to this.

(By the way, please spare us the ... "If I had to run down every rumor on college message boards" dialogue. Girls basketball in a small town is not the same as Division I college sports.)

4. printdust

printdust New Member

I used to get phone calls from anonymous tipsters....but not since we came up with caller ID.

Draft saved Draft deleted