1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex between coach and student

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, because covering the White House has a lot in common with chasing down an anonymous rumor about a high school kid.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dude, i guess there goes being a watchdog for your community.

3. Smasher_Sloan

I know a columnist who once got a box in the mail. Inside was a stained copy of his column, strongly suggesting the sender had wiped his ass with the paper

That took a lot of steps, too.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Yes, when it comes to confronting people with a rumor about a high school kid sent anonymously through the mail, I officially abdicate community watchdog duty.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Better hope it's not true because if it is, you've gone from man of virtue to lazy turd.

6. Smasher_Sloan

It's your story. I'm giving it to you. Merry Christmas.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

smasher, i don't think you have to accuse anyone of anything. i do think it's your job to ask questions, though.

8. Smasher_Sloan

And I told you the problem with that. As soon as you start asking questions, you add legitimacy to the most flimsy rumors.

Woodward and Bernstein didn't say who "Deep Throat" was, but they sure as hell KNEW who he was.

If the person with the rumor doesn't have enough confidence or courage to come forth and make their name and/or face known to me, why should I trust them?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would at least try to delve into what the "personal reasons" are for someone to just up and transfer from one school to the other with everything you've mentioned.

When Chamique Holdsclaw left the Washington Mystics for "personal health-related reasons" and asked people to "respect [her] privacy," as a fan, I didn't know what to think. I had my theories, but I had nothing to go on until she finally announced long after the season ended that she was battling depression. What I thought it would have been was much worse than depression.

I'd talk to people on her current team and on her former team to see if you could get an idea of the reason behind the transfer. Perhaps the personal reason turns out to be nothing more than dislike of the coach. Perhaps the coach told her she's not going to be in the starting lineup because his daughter's going to take her spot.

The anonymous letter could be complete bullshit. The guy could be on to something. You don't know until you make a few phone calls to find out what the "personal reasons" are behind the transfer. THAT you do. It has nothing to do with rumormongering and everything to do with doing your job thoroughly.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not trying to start an argument with you, smasher. simply stated, i think even a wisp of a coach fucking a kid is worth following up on.

please, have the last word (with me) concerning this topic.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm not gonna say ignore it, TP, but you have to be careful for the very reasons Smasher mentions. Ask the wrong person, and soon some stupid-ass, illegitimate rumor is being played up on a BLOG! by some moron claiming it's fact, since the local sportswriter was doing his homework.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I think discreet inquiries can be made without turning it into a circus.

At the same time, I can see why some people wouldn't go near this.

Draft saved Draft deleted