1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex between coach and student

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Go ahead, find out what you can and write the story.

Now, when you get sued by the coach and parents, just remember: It's not what you know, it's what you can prove. So, what can you prove? I'm not saying it can't be done, but make for damn sure you have something other than an anonymous message. See how well that holds up.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

Smasher,

Something similar happened about 15 years ago at the first paper I worked. (I say similar because I dont know how the reporter caught wind of it.)

I do know nothing happened until a reporter called the AD.

Then the coach was fired.

No charges, though.

Not sure this is quite the same as college message boards where rumors exist by the thousands. (Oh wait, you were being sarcastic, right?) I'm also unaware of this type of cut-throat mentality in girls basketball, where one program is out to bury another.

It's one call to the AD. Takes 5 minutes.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

it stuns me that so many people on here are encouraging this guy not to do anything. what harm can come from a couple of phone calls? isn't that what we're paid to do.
    as sports reporters, sure, we cover games and offer feel-good stories. but we're still reporters.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you mean: why did *insert name here* transfer?

no, that doesn't sound like too much to ask.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Apparently, that question already has been asked. The answer was, "personal reasons."

Now what?

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I would first hook up with a cops reporter and check for a police report. If the cops reporter has good rapport with the cops, I would have them poke around to see if there is an ongoing investigation.

I would have an off-the-record conversation with someone related to the program, like the AD (if s/he is a talker), an assistant coach or maybe another coach at the school. Find out what rumors are really out there and not just cooked up by some jealous player/parent. If you don't have those relationships, work with another reporter at your paper who does. If something does exist, take it on the record with the accused coach, the AD, and school district personnel.

You DO NOT call the girl's parents until you have something on the record to back up the claim. If you end up talking to the girl and she cites "personal reasons" again, push it by asking if she really wanted to play for School X or really wanted to get out of School Y.

If there is something there and you do get it on the record, keep in mind that you likely can't name the girl because she's a minor. Not only that, you can't give specific identifying information. If she's the only female athlete to transfer to School Y from School X this year, that's de facto identification.

My gut instinct is this is some bullshit cooked up by a disgruntled parent.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i do think that particular answer would make me want to dig a little deeper.

but then again, i like to ask questions and find shit out ... maybe that's just me.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just because the guy got fired doesn't mean there was anything to it. People could have just been covering their asses.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't have the time or inclination to check out a scrap of paper sent through the mail. There's a difference between an unnamed source who actually exists and some fan who might be playing games with a 41-cent stamp.

As soon as you start asking questions based on this flimsy premise, you're helping to legitimize something that might be total bullshit.

"Hey, did you hear the Press-Journal is looking into the sex scandal at More Science High?"

I'm not chasing this bullshit without a more firm reason to believe it might be true.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow smasher, nixon would have loved that approach to journalism/

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

So, if shit does break, you look like a freaking idiot who covers prep games for a living?

Of course you check it out, because it's your job to make sure the local coaches aren't diddling the customers. You do it as quietly as you can, pulling a player you know to be a free-thinker aside and say, "I got this in the mail ... total bullshit or is there truth to it?" Or, you take the damn thing to the coach and hand him what was sent to you. His reaction will tell you most of what you'll need to know and then there's also the fact that if somebody is trying to fuck him, he should know about it.

If I am not mistaken, isn't this how the Seattle Times investigation into the Chief Sealth program started? Anonymous letter?

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

There's no way it's a game. The person who sent it had to take a lot of steps. Clipping the article, adding the note, writing the address, putting the stamp on it, mailing it. They clearly think it's something that actually happened. Check it out. You owe it to the other girls on the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted