1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seven children among 14 dead in Montana plane crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou.

All signs indicate that these were monied folks flying privately to a place where monied folks go to ski.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In a plane that didn't have enough seats for all the passengers.

In a plane that is more likely to crash than a commercial airliner.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I can't speak for the families involved in this, but it is possible -- going in -- that none of them knew enough about airplanes to sense the danger.

The lack of seats (if there were any, which there probably should have been) should have been a tipoff, though.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Probably was less about money than about convenience.

Nine seats in the cabin, which would have accommodated all the adults, and the 3 oldest kids--9, 7 and 5. Would have left a 4 year old, two 3 year olds and a 2 year old to sit on mom and dad's lap.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

They chartered a private plane from a professional service. It's not like they asked a solid from Goober to break out his crop duster, outfit it with a couple of double-ought special spy seats and fly them up to Montana.

Again, everything coming out of this indicates this was not about overloading, but if it makes those who fear flying feel better to think this was some idiot pilot playing games with people's lives, cool.

As for the plane having a greater chance of crashing than a commercial jetliner, fair enough. Commercial air travel is one of the safest modes of travel in the history of the world. Still, the odds of dying in any plane crash are incredibly minute. Linking this to people pinching pennies in lieu of safety is ridiculous.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

along with allen, if something were to happen to my kids, i'd want to be there and have my arms around them when the time came.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that. However in this case the parents put their children at risk by choosing convenience over safety. I hope they realized that at the end.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not trying to snark, but unless it was obvious that their safety was at risk, how would they have known?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You have changed the parameters, that was not what you were contending at 1:35:09

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't be too hard on armchair. i think he was able to accept the fact that most parents love their kids more than they love themselves, which probably was a good thing.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If it was carrying paying customers, it WAS a commercial plane and held to the same maintenance and inspection criteria.

Draft saved Draft deleted