1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie "come out" on New Yorker cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 28, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

It's going to be really difficult to explain to my 5-year-old son that he can't read this week's New Yorker cause I'm afraid he'll get Teh Gay.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just show him the cartoons.Maybe he can figure them out. Few can.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hell, I like it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hell of a pull.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Love the New Yorker but it's these "épater la bourgeoisie" covers are pretty tiresome.

Next! A cover of Aaron Hernandez and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tossing around a football in a backyard somewhere!

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No more tiresome than people who toss around phrases like "épater la bourgeoisie." ;)

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just realized Frank Faylen, who played Ernie, had an uncredited role as Yankees third base coach in "The Pride of the Yankees," which is on MLB Network right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

This is seriously old news. The New York Times magazine did a column which brought up the question of whether Ernie and Bert were gay back in 1994. If I recall correctly, the context somehow related to Congresswoman Nita Lowey of New York, who brought the characters to Capitol Hill as part of a campaign to renew funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Boom: That was eight months ago.

Updated:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sex-suits-voice-elmo-kevin-clash-thrown-missed-filing-deadlines-article-1.1387031

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It was unsolicited and initially planed for something else (the president's State of hte Union, maybe).

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Too late. That's the cover of last week's Bostoner.

Draft saved Draft deleted