1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE's at one-man sports desks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For those working at smaller shops that have SE titles, is the title just a way to get around paying overtime?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That would be my guess. Then again, I'm a ME. I haven't seen overtime since the Stoned Age.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Based on previous experience, yes.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I was an SE and they paid overtime, but it was this weird "fluctuating rate" which was pathetically small. It came to about $4 an hour then shrank the more hours you worked. And they still complained if you worked overtime.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes.

I did this in New Mexico. Making it worse was the fact the ME used to be the SE and he gravy-trained nearly all the choice assignments, leaving me in the office to put out the paper -- which he knew I detested.

6. dieditor

dieditor Member

Birdscribe,

I've been there. Change "New Mexico" to "California" and that was my first gig. I guess the title looks good on a resume though.

Of course, I'm an ME now also, so the word overtime means to me what the word recycling means to Montgomery Burns...

7. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I'm the SE for a one-man show - three times a week paper - and I'm hourly. They cringe at OT, however. Same with my last gig before this one. I was the SE working on an hourly rate. OT was paid but strongly discouraged

8. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I should add that one of the reasons one of my bosses discouraged OT was because it might bump me into a higher tax bracket. He doesn't seem to be doing too poorly in one of those brackets, however (driving his nice truck, RV, etc.)

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I was a one-man army SE at my last stop and I was salaried. But then damn near everyone was salaried in our little shop, including the one non-editor reporter. That couldn't have been legal, but I guess it was.

Funny thing: our editorial assistant was pissed because everyone else editorial was salaried and she was hourly, which meant she had to punch a timeclock. Now I can understand not wanting to have the freedom to set your own hours, though by necessity the EA has to have regular office hours, but I kept trying to tell her that at least she's insulated against unpaid overtime. If they wanted her to work more than 40 hours, she got paid more than 40 hours. As a salaried employee, you worked until the job was done, even if it took 60 hours or more. She never quite understood that, and eventually she moved on.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Funny how that works, FB. ::)

Actually, it isn't. :mad:

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Technically, I believe under federal law, you are considered salaried if you supervise two or more people. I say technically, because it doesn't always get enforced

I was a one-man staff at a previous paper and I got OT, although they hated to pay me it. I told them that if I was going to work extra, then I should get paid for it. Otherwise, I would find a second job that would pay me for those hours.

12. times38

times38 Member

I was a one-man show at two different papers. I got overtime, but man they raised hell every two weeks about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted