1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious computer help needed....my computer keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 25, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have to type fast before my computer crashes again.

It's a Dell with Microsoft XP Professional. By computer standards it's 5 million years old--seven.

So, my computer sends me this message:

"Windows must restart because the DCOM server process launcher terminated unexpectedly. The shutdown was initiated by NT Authority/System".

It shuts down, reboots and then I may get anywhere from five minutes to two hours before it does it again.

I know it's serious but I'm sure one of the computer experts at sj could give me some direction--besides get a new computer.

Is it fixable? Should I take it into a computer store or can I fix it myself?

Thanks.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Try doing a system restore.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie, I'm sorry but I'm a computer idiot. What's that mean?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like Blaster or something similar. 2003 called and it wants its virus back. Could be a more recent trojan, too.

Open a DOS prompt; anytime it tries to shut down, switch to the DOS prompt window and type shutdown -a to abort.

Download and run MalwareBytes.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK.
    Next dumb question..how do you open a DOS prompt? (covering face in shame)

I can do the download and run thing.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Short way to a command line: hold down the Windows-logo key and press R.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You can also type a prompt by going to Start menu, then clicking Run. System restore might work, but you must restore it to a point before the trouble started, if you can do that. Go to Start menu-->Help and Support-->Fixing a Problem-->Using System Restore to Undo Changes.

In the meantime, next time you fire it up, when it's still running, start saving all your files to flash drives or some other medium. This will be handy in case the problem's so bad you need to reinstall Windows, which I had to do for someone over the weekend.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Win key + R is faster, though.

But deal with the possible infection first, of course. :)

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. I'll try it this evening.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I did a system restore on my machine last month and it worked. I'll second the Malwarebytes mention too.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it's good enough for you then it's good enough for me.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Worked like a charm for me. Bonne chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted