1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Serious byline question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Jennifer 8 Lee says back the fuck off.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Effect on using the "gussied-ed up" byline? Depends on where you're at.

Northeast? Makes you look like you have money.

Out West? Bring on the acting career.

The Deep South? Better put a Junior with that there, shun....

Midwest? Only if you're in the bowling honor roll. Then see the entry for Deep South.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Your byline, go for it.
    I prefer the simple "what you go by" but it ain't my byline.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Only your mother will notice or care. Do what looks good to you, but stick with it. Looks pretentious to change it later.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, so you're coming out of the closet? nice. congrats.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've been using my middle initial since I started writing. My first/last name is too short and blunt (three syllables). And now it's a necessity -- the people that own my little chain of papers added another one a few months ago, and they have someone with my first and last name (you might remember around this time last year, when I spun a tale about how someone with my name won an award and people thought it was me, since they apparently used my picture. Same dude).

If it's pretention on my part, it's an ironic one, as anyone who drew the short straw in life and has to know me can attest.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, it didn't work so well for tom petty, either.

8. Babs

Babs Member

Do whatever you think sounds best. It's the only bit of personality you can demonstrate sometimes.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I go by my nickname, which is preferred (I hate my first name and the shortened version as well). At my last gig I switched to my Full first name and initial because some say my nickname is childish.

I liked the long name all right, but the gig got worse and I left. I don't know if it was superstition that got me back to using my nickname or what, but I went back.

I think if I ever write that book, I will use my long name.

I've also considered dropping my last name and go with my first and middle, because I hate my last name more than my first. But my mother would have a heart attack if I did that.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

My first name is, you guessed it, John.

With such a dull first name, and two older brothers whose first names also start with J, I've used my middle initial in everything I've done since I was in the sixth grade.

If others think it's pretentious, what the fuck do I care.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you John F. DoIcare.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I always regretted that I didn't use my middle initial (X.) in my byline. People might have feared me.

Draft saved Draft deleted