1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sergio's taking a page from Fuzzy Zoeller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AtticusFinch, May 21, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Damn. I am officially renouncing my answer from last week's Sheep.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This will not fare well.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good bigot. ... and an even better racist.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Tiger responded with a Tweet: It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate.

Hmmmm, kinda like cheating on your wife and mother of your children?

This is a hissing contest between a couple of spoiled brats, so who cares? Frankly, I like it when somebody wants to throw rocks at Tiger's glass house.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Most-shocking upset in golf this season.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How in god's name does Tiger Woods cheating on his wife four or five years ago grant the go-ahead for racial potshots at him? And how does it disqualify him from being hurt by the same? Martin Luther King, Jr., cheated on his wife, too. Was it no holds barred after that on him, as well?

That said, a couple serious questions:

(1) Was Sergio just trying to make a call back to Fuzzy Zoeller's comment all those years ago? It probably didn't really land like he wanted it to, but the joke seems to be more like, "Remember what Fuzzy said all those years ago? I still can't believe that shit," than, "Tiger eats fried chicken. Because he's black. Get it?"

(2) Something my wife, who is all heart and doesn't have a racist cell in her body, nonetheless asked a few weeks ago that I couldn't really answer: What's the line between culture and stereotype? If Tiger were German, and Sergio said he'd be serving Beck's, no one would blink, right? When non-white people are involved, why is food such a sensitive topic? Panda Express serves orange chicken. It's good. But if Shaq had made a comment about orange chicken and Yao in the day, it would have exploded in controversy. Why?

(3) Can someone explain the "good guy and better man" meme to me?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a huge difference between taking shots at Tiger (which I would applaud) and taking a cheap racial shot.

Sergio really screwed himself on this one.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3602280/

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dirty Spaniard. I bet he eats paella and watermelon.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I mentioned it up thread, but racism in Spanish sports hasn't been unusual the past several years. There have been plenty of documented instances of black soccer players being subject to racial taunts and chants and there was the "Asian eyes" incident with the Spanish basketball team a few years ago.

12. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

No link yet, but Sergio evidently just said in a presser on the Golf Channel that he wasn't aware of Fuzzy's comments back in 1997.

He's that dumb?

Draft saved Draft deleted