1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sergio disqualified from PGA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

OK well that was one of the first reasoned responses to my point on this thread. Thank you. I understand everything you said and again, agree that the rule is the rule. No one's saying Sergio isn't at fault. The point of my whole argument is that I think the rule should be changed. It's fine if you don't think it should. But I don't think the rule is the rule is a good enough basis to keep it. They never had 3-point lines, shot clocks, instant replay... you see where I'm going with that. Times change, rules can too.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I see your point on the additions of things to the game, like 3-point lines, etc. I think it's the subtraction of things that makes it difficult. I always felt that being DQ'd for a simple error like signing an incorrect scorecard was a little harsh, but I don't think there's another apt punishment. It goes to the honor basis of the game. It's the only sport that the players are the one to call penalties on themselves. You would never see Kobe say, "Hey, I got you on that one, take two."

As a former competitive golfer, I appreciate the need to keep your own score. In lower levels, it helps settle rules disputes in the end as well. Happened to me during a PGA qualifying event.

I know a rule cause it's a rule isn't a good argument, but somethings have to remain in place because they support the basis of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted