1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sepinwall's book excerpt on The Sopranos: The Russian, and The End

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I've seen FNL, Buffy, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men. The Sopranos, Deadwood, and Battlestar Gallactica are on my list for sometime in the next year.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Breaking Bad, Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, Mad men.

Lost and Galactica only ones I stuck with from start to finish, though would have loved to stick with the two AMC ones but had bad cable for a couple of years. Buffy lost me when Riley showed up.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

God, how I hated Riley. I still stuck with it through that, though.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I would've bought this if it had Friends in it. (ducking ...) :D

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

He was enough for both me and the wife to drop the show. I caught the show a couple years later after they had decided that showing Sarah Michelle Gellar having sex on TV was the way to ratings gold. Also caught the musical episode, which was great.

Friends defied convention, as it was a sitcom that was completely unfunny and yet somehow popular.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't even think that's fair. The plots are good to great except for Season 2. But the continuity is a little absurd.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Other than a jarring "there" instead of "their" in the copy, it's a pretty good commentary about self-published vs. traditionally-published books and the quality distinction not necessarily being what it used to be. Uses Sepinwall's book being reviewed by NY Times and others, as the hook. Although, he probably was able to self-promote with out a traditional publicist because he is one of that crowd.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharmananderson/2012/12/06/new-york-times-reviews-self-published-book/

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I reflexively have to stand up for "Friends," as I always do when such posts are made.

Uneven? Absolutely.

Unfunny? No way. In some ways, it was "Seinfeld" for 20-somethings, and had a lot of smart, recognizable plots and arcs. Handled young people's relationships - romatic, platonic, and work - tremendously.

Also, it largely improved with age, as they nailed down the characters better, and trimmed a lot of the cutesy stuff that infuriated hipster television viewers early on.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Were 20-somethings not allowed to watch Seinfeld?

10. I read this one in a few days though I admit that I only read the chapters on the shows I have seen (The Sopranos, Oz, The Wire, Breaking Bad, FNL). I skipped the rest. Some of them (Mad Men, Deadwood) I plan to watch eventually. Others I have no interest in. But Sepinwall is and was so into the HBO shows that it's worth the read just for the insights into those.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, sure.

But I'm referring to the age of the cast.

I laughed my ass off at "Seinfeld."

I related, at that time, to "Friends."

Identity politics, etc., etc.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I really never understood the love of Friends. I thought it was an average show with a pretty cast, but predictable jokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted