1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separating the fanboy from the journalist (or, "we" vs. "they")

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in a word, NO. ;D

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wojo was covering his alma mater by happenstance. And I get the idea from reading it that he wouldn't have raced up the stairs to see his old buddies so they could console one another if they got blown out of the building. It was a random, flukey, perfectly human response...holy shit, my woebegotten alma mater is taking Kentucky to double overtime, they've got a shot to beat them, holy shit, this is not happening. It was an appropriate response that led to a really enjoyable column (sorry SP, gotta disagree with you here). I can't blame someone who is coveirng his alma mater by accident for having a similiar reaction.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, it was worth a try.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

By that logic, every taxpayer in my state can say "we" all "we" want when talking about my alma mater. Although that means we're partial owners of the hated cross-state rivals.

5. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I guess the point of the rant is that 'You can't say we' is pretentious bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted