1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Separating the fanboy from the journalist (or, "we" vs. "they")

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

In this business or not, I'm going to cheer like a madman when the youngest Editude's college has a third and 3 at the evil opponent's 11. But it's not that difficult to approach work from a neutral point of view. The only rooting is for night games to end in regulation.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Or mercy rules and forfeits.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just getting to reading this thread, but two great posts by buck on this one.

4. He pulls 'em out of his ass every now and then. ;)

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't care who you are and what your job is in this business. You do not say we or us when talking about a team. They don't cut you a check, so you're not a part of the team.

End of story.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

7. This is a bit of a flimsy analogy, don't you think? I mean, I've never heard a director credit a successful film to the "home-set advantage" his loud, boisterous extras provided.

I have no problem at all with a fan referring to his team as "we." That communal aspect to sports is what keeps fans watching and keeps them reading about their teams -- learning, analyzing, debating. Fans want to feel part of something, which is why that "_____ Nation!" horseshit flies so well with them.

And the fact is that there are times in which the fans can help determine the outcome of a game, by their volume or their behavior or their motivation. If a fan believes bringing the noise-o-meter to 100 on the scoreboard is as important as the game-winning shot, then he's an idiot; but I don't think you can fault him for considering himself part of a "we" when fan support and homefield advantage is something every team begs for and publicly considers vital each season.

8. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I'm really glad I don't do this work anymore so I don't have to worry about shit like this.

However, I will say "we" regarding my alma mater all I want to. It's fine. After all, if we didn't buy tickets, if we didn't follow the team, if we didn't buy the merchandise, if we don't give a flying fuck, then they don't exist. They don't make the roster, they don't get the scholarship/paycheck, they don't play. They're working schmucks like the rest of us.

Organized sports will not exist without the fans, so, yes, "we" is fine. Furthermore, sports journalism in any medium will not exist without the organized sports which will not exist without the fans.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Our paper covers my alma mater (University of Kansas) and I've gotten the chance to cover a handful of basketball and football games. I've found it not terribly difficult to take off the fanboy hat and cover the game like anyone else. Hard to explain it I guess. I've been to dozens of games at Allen Fieldhouse and Memorial Stadium as a student and graduate as a fan and others as a journalist, and I just don't think it's difficult to be in the stands one game as a fan and the next as a journalist.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I agree. I can easily sit at home and root for a school I like, I did it Saturday. And on the occasions I do cover them, I act like a pro and do my job.

I've gotten to cover my favorite team a couple of times, and I'll give a little fist pump or something under the table, but nothing that would draw attention. But mostly I'm paying attention to the game thinking of sidebar ideas, etc. Who really has time to root and cheer, but I've seen it happen.

It isn't really that hard. Sure we have to separate ourselves professionally when we're covering a team.

And I agree, never use we. I don't get too bent when fans do it, there is a sense of ownership with a team, pro, college or preps. It's part of society. But journalists, no way.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On the flip-side, how many of you have spent so much time in press boxes that you find it hard to cheer when you're at a game as a fan? I cover a college sports beat, but I find myself restraining jubilation when I go watch the local pro team (my favorite team since I was a kid) and sit in the stands ...

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I've had that problem too. I've been to games where people are going apeshit, and I'm just kind of, 'oh, that's a good play.' I've also been yelled at by people for taking about what a great play someone from the other team made.

I often find myself tiking about how I would write the story. Drives me nutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted