1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Sports Reporter, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

The Orlando Sentinel has an immediate opening to cover Florida's golf scene, including the many pro golfers based in Orlando, the teaching schools and all the Florida-based PGA tournaments. The successful candidate will have a track record of developing sources and breaking news and will write columns, major features and enterprise stories for the newspaper and OrlandoSentinel.com. Multimedia skills and experience with radio and television appearances are helpful. The position requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; a minimum of five years of sports reporting experience at a daily newspaper; a thorough understanding of sports history, issues and personalities; and the demonstrated ability to produce lively, authoritative stories on deadline.

Please e-mail or mail a cover letter, resume and writing samples that best demonstrate your skills to:

Tim Stephens
    AME/Sports Topics Manager
    Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

No phone calls please. Any questions, feel free to contact me at sentinelsportseditor@gmail.com

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hell of a time to be looking for a golf reporter.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Glad to see this paper is finally taking the position seriously, which it hasn't done since its firing of Steve Elling.

Newspaper recession or not, there's no excuse for the Sentinel not having a golf reporter for exactly the reason Tim illustrated in his first sentence.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I seem to have read something about some Cablinasian dude who has notched a couple Top 10s bunking down in that area. Eldrick Somethingorother.

A prime gig that surely will attract lots of interest. Tim Stephens is aces to work for, I have heard from lots of folks there, and Orlando is, well, Orlando. Walt Disney bought up all that swampland for a reason.

rb

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This one should be a slam dunk... Jeff Shain...

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When a newspaper does something like this -- creating or opening a position that it will fill not so very long after laying off other people -- shouldn't it:

a) Call back one of the people it whacked and offer that person this job?

b) Call back all of the qualified people it whacked and ask them to interview for this job?

c) Call back all of the qualified people it whacked and at least apologize for now hiring when before it was "laying off" (back in the day, "layoffs" meant that a whacked worker would be called back when an opening came about)?

d) Be ashamed, and be scorned by right-thinking journalists?

e) Go f--- itself!

or
    f) All of the above?

Another example of lousy management, crushing some people's careers for no reasons having to do with merit, and then deciding to re-invent the wheel a while later because there is a new sheriff in town. But of course, rather than make up for an institutional sin, it prefers to hire its own new beholden-to-current-bosses worker.

Happy Effin' New Year, Trib Co.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts exactly.

8. Mizzougrad96

If memory serves, every layoff at the Sentinel in the past year has been an editor or copy editor. I think the last writer let go was Tim Povtak and that was at least a year ago.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I can not argue with this logic at all, Joe W's post aside.

Jeff Shain would be an excellent choice on every level.

10. Mizzougrad96

Someone told me that not counting columnists, Hoppes never hired a writer who was over 30.

We'll see if his successor follows the same path.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No idea whether Tim Povtak would be interested. Maybe he's happy as a clam to be gone from that place and corporation. But the day they let him go (I'm assuming), a bunch of suits felt that nothing was more important to the survival of that operation than getting rid of his position and salary. They could not have been more wrong, obviously.

Now a new department head gets to choose his own new hire, and Povtak has to go forward for himself and his family as the lone victim among the writers of a 100% wrong, mismanagement mistake.

And Mizzou, even if it was a year or more ago, does that make it easier on the laid-off person? Or harder?

Congrats to whomever the new hire is. Hopefully, the company will have Scotch-guarded out all the blood stains from that chair and cubicle.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not exactly something to brag about, Mizzou.

Draft saved Draft deleted