1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior reporter for UNC hoops, football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Pitiful that there are so many typos and punctuation issues in an ad for a job of this caliber. ... wirtes? ... $1000,000 ... Seriously?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Major beat at a major paper. Sure they will have no shortage of applicants who see it as a "destination job". If I wanted to live in that part of the world, I'd certainly throw my hat in the ring.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reading further in this thread, it wouldn't be surprising.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Those requirements are all boilerplate from the paper's (or chain's) Human Resources Department. No sports editor ---- with or without a candidate in mind --- is going to specify how much liability insurance you must carry.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fran is exactly right. I'll bet half of those odd requirements are a pro forma matter of state law.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The driving record makes sense, and I've run into that insurance thing before. Many years ago when I was a young pup reporter the place I started out at required that I up my coverage to be eligible for reimbursement for mileage. You drive to a lot of assignments and they need assurance that while you're representing the company you're insured properly or it can come back to them. There's no shortage of people who'd love to go after a newspaper if one of the paper's employees barrels into them. The paper is doing what papers do -- covering its ass.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've had a license since I was 16. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they would by pass two years.

8. accguy

accguy Member

Despite the bizarre Charlotte-Raleigh marriage, and the fact that McClatchy stinks, I still think this is a pretty darn good job.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

It's the best job in either market. It's the best sports job in the state. I just hope they get to hire somebody.

10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Why wouldn't they get to hire somebody?

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Because management will likely seize the opportunity to kill the position and save money. Of course.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

By kill, he means slide someone on staff into the UNC beat and keep sliding staffers into new roles until you find a job you don't fill. It's just the unfortunate reality of how many big chain jobs are being filled. I hope it's not the case here.

Draft saved Draft deleted