1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior hockey player dies after on-ice fight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No - barroom fighting is an accepted part of culture.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"It's part of the game" is a valid argument because if it weren't, every time there was a fight, the players wouldn't get a penalty, they'd be arrested. And they're not. So, the legal system implicitly considers, within reason, fighting as part of the game.

You need to find another argument because the "it's illegal" one doesn't wash

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It washes with me. In my house, playing poker for money is an acceptable part of the culture. It happens all the time without repercussions. If the cops decide to take the door and bust up the game, though, I don't think I could or should be able to persuade them with your argument.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Your argument is turning into gibberish.
    Time to move on.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It is part of the game and that is the sad part.

In any other sport if you fight you generally are looking at a suspension from the league.

In the NHL you are looking at a penalty, no fines, no lasting repercussions.

Fighting in hockey is a cultural problem, specifically a Canadian cultural problem, that has top be solved to eliminate it from the sport.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My gibberish is written in the statutes, and it's called involuntary manslaughter.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Are you a lawyer or do you just play one on television?

I'll leave the last word to Bob McKenzie on this.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=261646&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

How do you reconcile something like that?

The answer is, you don't.

"He was doing something he loved (playing hockey)," his father Mike said. "When your son goes out the door to play hockey, it's not what you expect to happen. Maybe you get a phone call that he's cracked an ankle or hurt himself somehow. But this? As a parent, it's hard..."

I imagine the other player being charged is about the last thing on the father's mind

8. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Honestly, I just got back from work and the fact that this thread is three pages long with one or two RIPs is a bit ridiculous.

I would be willing to bet that more people have died trying to field a line drive, taking a check, tackling head first etc. than in a hockey fight. Hockey fights are usually in such a controlled scenario, for something like this to happen just seems ridiculous. Usually one or two punches are thrown before both guys get a hold of the other guy's jersey and they harmlessly wrestle one another to the ground where the referees make sure no cheap shots are had.
    I want to know if the people against fighting in hockey are UFC fans.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I am not against fighting in hockey. If guys want to drop the gloves, I'm not going to stand in their way. It's occasionally entertaining. But they should be accountable if things go bad.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And I am just saying that it seems inconsistent if two guys get in a beef in virtually any other setting, punches are thrown and one guy dies, police are going to at least consider charging someone.

If I threw a baseball during practice and it hit FDP in the head and killed him, should I be charged?

Thems the breaks, right?

What if I had told teammates that I hated FDP for cozying up to coaches and taking my starting spot? And what if I conked him while he wasn't looking?

If someone dies, it should be looked into at the very least. Not shrugged off.

NASCAR used to do this all the time when a driver died, until it was a big-name driver. Then hands were wrung and changes were made.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

It's the culture of hockey, period. Not the culture of hockey in Canada.

Far more American publications flog the ridiculous idea of 'The Code' more often than any Canadian pubs I've seen.

Ask any kid who played on the Central or ECHL circuits which fans are more bloodthirsty.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

First of all, best wishes to the Sanderson family.

There is not going to be a court case. What this must become, however, is a workplace safety issue. Anyone who saw Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (Columbus) fall on his head during a fight last month knows that this could happen in the NHL.

It's amazing how far the NHL is behind the NFL on players' safety issues. A lot of that stubbornness is due to the players themselves. They don't want to see headshot penalties and they want fighting to stay. But, they also don't want guys fighting with visors and refuse to wear their chinstraps up tight.

In one Canadian junior league -- Quebec's -- a player gets a misconduct for removing his helmet. I'd rather see the NHL make it a two-minute penalty (since it's more damaging for the team) if a player does this. If you wear a visor, you shouldn't be allowed to fight, period. And, not wearing a chinstrap tight should at least be a fine.

Yeesh, they forced fighters to wear tie-down jerseys, the least they could do is something serious about helmets.

Draft saved Draft deleted