1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, SportsXChange

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sportsed, Jun 16, 2006.

1. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Have no idea what this is all about but I thought I'd post it.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=650235

Description:
    The Sports Xchange is seeking a Senior Editor with a minimum of five years print/online experience to administrate the college sports department. A passion for -- and thorough knowledge of -- college football and basketball is a must. The Sr. Editor will be responsible for managing a nationwide network of writers covering all Division I conferences for both sports, working with an assistant(s) to edit the content, and deliver files to clients.

TSX has been the top source for information and analysis on teams and athletes since 1987, with clients including FoxSports.com, USAToday.com/Sports Weekly and CBSSportsLine.com, among many others. Location isn't a high priority -- however, hours will fluctuate and require night work seasonally, so a candidate in the Pacific Time zone is a major plus.

Other Qualifications: EXCELLENT communication skills and a team player -- you will be working with writers, editors and clients by phone and email across the country. ... Strong editorial skills and knowledge of AP style with ability to pass editorial test. ... Experience directing staff of writers. ... Comfort with technology. Don't have to be a computer whiz, but must be able to work on your own in Word and Excel and have the ability to upramp on company's propriety online content management system. ... At least one year of experience with an Internet company preferred.

And above all, you must have a passion for college sports and the desire to produce the highest quality of content to all clients even under tight deadlines.

Pay will be commensurate with experience.

Interested candidates, please email a cover letter and resume (Word format preferred) to:

Derek Harper: dharper@sportsxchange.com

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is a voluminious amount of work pretty much every day (I think the writers file six days a week). Still sounds like an irresistible opportunity if you like to work late nights in your skivvies.

3. lurking

lurking New Member

Anyone have even a ballpark figure on what this might pay? Think it might be worth looking into for a seasoned copy editor from about a 175K daily?

4. somewriter

somewriter Member

Don't know, but I bet it pays decently, if not well. Can't hurt to ask. Derek's a good guy and a straight shooter.

5. lurking

lurking New Member

Good point, and telecommuting could have its advantages

6. SportsInsane

SportsInsane New Member

Run far, far away. Yes, I registered here simply to say that.

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Well tell us why?

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I had a PT copy-editing gig once at a place that used SXC. Most of the stuff was decent, but they were notorious for egregious errors - errors that shouldn't have been in the first place.

It's been some time so I can't think of any specific examples, but I was told to read their stuff more thoroughly.

So maybe they need a good senior editor.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The original Sports Xchange went belly up a few years ago, owing a bunch of people - me included - a bunch of money. It then came back but hasn't gone back and paid the people. They called me to get me to do more work and I said call me when you pay me for the previous work.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the new group of folks running the place.

Blue Ribbon yearbook, by the way, did the same thing. Stiffed me - and others - for 1200 or so and then reappearned "under new management."

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

The same thing happened to me with owned money not being paid, but that's not accurate reporting. By that time, Sports Xchange was bought and owned by Broadband Sports. It was Broadband that folded and didn't pay people. Not Sports Xchange. When Sports Xchange returned it had new ownership.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Whatever - it was Sports Xchange that got my work, Sports Xchange that didn't pay me and Sports Xchange that asked me to do something else. The parent company? Who knows. For all I know, the same folks folded one and started another.

Blue Ribbon used the same rap on me. How come you are still publishing? Well, it's a new ownership group. Oh.

A convenient scam to avoid paying people is what it seems like to someone who busted ass for those two groups and still waits for a check.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Moddy ... you know me by name ... call me or PM me if you need to ... but I can absolutely promise you that the same folks that folded the company did not start the new one. A lot of people who re-started the company worked for Broadband and got burned by Broadband even worse than the writers. They lost a lot more money than you and I ever did and experienced a lot more financial and career distress.
    Trust me on this one. Please. Or at least do some research.
    There is a much bigger story behind the scenes than the surface you see. If you could can find it in the archives on fuckedcompany.com and read what was written about how broadband fell apart and how many people got screwed and why and for how much, you know a lot more about the real truth of what happened, rather than the perception of what some people only assume happened. Plus there are other stories to be told that I can't tell on here.
    PM me if you want to know more ... but don't let perceptions substitute for the bigger truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted