1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Editor, NFL.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jlofty, May 31, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

What he said.

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

It's a job description. Lots of information in there. But, yeah, the pay is semi-important because if it's not going to work, especially living in L.A., what's the point?

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Like I said: Don't ask about the money. You know you want to, and they expect that, but don't. But you could say: "I'm doing pretty good here. What is your salary range?"

That puts it back to them. Make them establish the salary range first, and see if it fits with you. Then you can say: "The job sounds great. I've got really good experience, as you can tell from my resume (clips, tearsheets, whatever), so I'm looking for a job in which I could earn XXX dollars because of what I can do for you."

Lays it back in their hands. They WILL pay that extra money if they want you. If they're offering you the job at that point, they want you. Don't take the first offer, ever. Find a way to say that you thought the job would pay more, and see where they go.

They have the hammer, of course. But if they want you, they will pay a lot more, and they're used to the negotiation process. They just don't want you to know that.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, Dan:

Nobody's asking for negotiating advice, not are they negotiating or applying for a job on this thread. I think people are asking if anyone on this message board for journalists knows what the company is planning to pay, perhaps to decide if they believe it's worth pursuing. No more, no less.

5. OK, I can probably manage to live off that. The games are just once a week, so there should be plenty of time for freelancing.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Former colleague of mine just took a similar job to this at NFL.com. I was happy for him -- he'll do well there.

I guess what I'm saying is, I can vouch for there being one good guy in the newsroom.

7. Hey, Joe:

Do you feel threatened in some way by having someone post this advice? That was pretty useful info for people who don't have experience with negotiation.

8. sportsed

sportsed Member

Why is this job posting getting so much more attention than Yahoo's NASCAR editor position? Both Yahoo and NFL.com are located in Southern California, within a traffic jam of each other. Both, presumably, have a similar pay scale. Both have respected journalists with established track records running them. So has the stigma of working for the house organ finally worn off?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think it's more to do with the Yahoo job wants someone with a lot of NASCAR experience and sources in NASCAR, so I think that is limiting the pool.

10. dprince57

dprince57 Member

Any movement on this?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Job has been filled, but I don't know who got it.

12. fw

fw New Member

Perhaps Jlofty would be willing to fill us in on who got this gig ....

Draft saved Draft deleted