1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senior Citizen???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I have to preface this thread by saying (with no fear of outing myself) that I am a 43-year-old-woman. Not too bad looking. About average. I do not stress too much over what I see in the mirror every morning. What few wrinkles and gray hairs I have I have earned honestly. I am OK with that. It comes with the territory of raising a girl in this day and age. I can live with what I am. I embrace it. Having said all that ... read on ...

So ... this afternoon, for a late lunch, early dinner, I go to Sweet Tomatoes (a salad bar buffet) with my mother and my best friend. A girlfriend kind of lunch. I am first in line, followed by my mother and then my best friend. I am first to the register. "How many in your party, ma'am?" the kid asks. "Just one," I say. (We are going Dutch.) And then ... he says ...

"Will you be needing the senior citizen discount today?"

At which point, I became totally speechless for a long, long moment.

I turn my head and look towards my mother and I say (very loudly), "What in the Eff just happened to me???" As she is hiding under the railing with her tray, I turn to the pimple-faced kid and say, "No, I will NOT need a discount on my food today."

Behind, me, of course, is my mother, who, upon reaching the kid, says "I would like the senior citizen discount, please."

I am beyond mortified at what happened to me. I mean, seriously. There are a few of you on here that know me on Facebook and I know that you know that I do NOT appear anywhere near needing a senior citizen discount.

Many hours later and I am still shaking my head at what happened.

This was not a Tuesday Senior Discount Day. This was 4 p.m. on a Saturday. So do not tell me that the clerk was just being polite and doing his job.

Trust me. NOTHING about me says anything near senior citizen discount.

Ugh. I don't even know what to think or feel about this experience. But it does have me upset, that is for sure.

Rant over.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Kids don't know shit. Their heads are up their asses. It affects their eyesight.

Seriously, don't let it bother you. I turn 50 in a couple of months and AARP just sent me membership cards I didn't ask for. Save your outrage for that day.

:)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Liesl: I say this with very little partiality...you are far more beautiful than most any 43-year-old I've seen outside of a magazine.

That kid probably got shot down by his mom's bestie when he offered to let her take his v-card. He was taking it out on you.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I hear you, JD. I really do.

50% of the people I know my age have all received invites from AARP. Not a single one has ever been asked face-to-face if they wanted the senior discount. This was so much more personal than just receiving some junk mail from AARP.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Have I told you lately that I love you??

I do not agree with ALL that you said, but still, it was quite the shock to my system. And as always, you have a reason that makes perfect sense :)

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. I'm not making light of it. Well, I guess I am ... hoping you can find a way to do so too. He's a stupid kid. Dosn't know jack. Please don't let it bother you.

(Easy for me to say, I know).

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Exactly how much could you have saved?

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I would have to ask my mom to be sure since she took advantage of the discount. I am guessing 10% of roughly $10. So, not enough to make it worth my while, that is for sure.

They should have comped my whole meal ...

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Should've taken the discount. When life gives you lemons...

Seriously though, you said you went to a buffet for a late lunch/early dinner? The customers there probably were mostly senior citizens...the kid probably just asked you out of habit. I wouldn't try to read any deeper into it than that, I'm sure that's all it was.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Mrs. BD77 and I used to eat dinner early like that when we both had to be up @ 430 for work. And a lot of blue hairs were with us. Makes sense.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Christie Brinkley doesn't look like a senior citizen, either.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Kid might've thought he was doing you a favor offering to hook you up with a discount. You know, just a couple of kids, you and he, gaming the system.

Draft saved Draft deleted