1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sending Portfolios

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lawgy2010, Jul 11, 2006.

1. lawgy2010

lawgy2010 New Member

I have a question regarding portfolios. I will be graduating next May and will need to know how this should be done. When employers ask for things that I have written, how do you send them to them. Obviously nobody has enough copies of each of their papers to send to every employer, so do you make copies of the published articles or retype the articles and print them out. Any help from people in the same boat or people that have recently had to do this, or really anyone with good information would be greatly helpful.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

We don't send entire newspapers? Since when?

I've even stolen entire bound volumes and sent those.

3. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

(Recently in same situation)

Does your paper not publish online? That's always an option if you don't have a surplus of hard copies.

If you don't have an online edition and extra copies are an issue, hell, whenever you know you'll have a decent byline in circulation the next day, just swoop on some copies while walking around campus. In my limited experience, I would say avoid retyping a story at all costs, eds want to see something official. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a handful of hard copies, though. Lie, cheat, steal. If anyone gives you lip, pull a Maurice Clarett: "I can take as many of these damn papers as I want, after all, it's MY work."

4. lawgy2010

lawgy2010 New Member

Well, what is your opinion on making copies of those published articles and sending the copies if I only have 1 hard copy of the paper?

5. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

What I do is cut out my article from the newspaper, along with the date and name of the paper, then tape those to a white sheet of paper (you will usually be able to fit it on one, unless the story is really long). Then make copies of that sheet, always keeping the original clip for when you need more copies.

Draft saved Draft deleted