1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Send your homemade chicken wings suggestions this way

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

We bought a bag of frozen wings tonight and want to try making them between the holidays.

I'm incredulous: On the bag there's directions about how to MICROWAVE the wings. Microwave.

Screw that action. Give me your suggestions on how to fry those bitches up and what kind of sauce you all like. Do I have to let them thaw before frying? What temp oil do I use? What kind of pan (we don't have a fryer)?

Sauce-wise, I like hot buffalo-type sauce, not necessarily BBQ.

Of course I can google stuff, but where's the fun in that?

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Try the Highway 101 Family Teryaki sauce. My father claims that he's going to bottle the sweet-N-salty nectar once he retires in a couple years.

Or marinate overnight in Stubb's, which is available (at least at my) area grocery stores. DO NOT NUKE THEM! Throw them on the grill or drop them in the hot oil.

My humble suggestion is to marinate then toss over a hot coals, then add a little more sauce just before serving.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My friend Jojo makes some mean ginger chicken wings, but you should go with the classic Buffalo style.

Wings
    Don't batter the wings. Just defrost them, dust them with some seasoned flour and then deep fry them until they are crispy and golden.
    Drain them.

Sauce
    It's a can't-miss classic.
    Get a jug of Frank's Red Hot.
    Melt a stick of butter.
    Mix together.

Wings and sauce meet
    Put the sauce in a tupperware container.
    Put a batch of wings, drained but still hot, into the container.
    Seal the container and shake them up until well coated.
    Repeat as needed until all wings are sauced.

Serve with celery sticks and bleu cheese dressing (not ranch).

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I am known far and wide for my wings. Here's my take.

First, take those wings in the bag and throw them in the trash. Spend the money on a couple of packs of (at least partially) fresh wings and chop them yourself.

Dredge them in a 2-to-1 mix of flour and corn meal. Add lots of salt and pepper to the dredge. Then, toss in paprika until it's noticable in the thoroughly mixed dredge.

Fry at 350 (I use a FryDaddy-type contraption) until they float -- or are a good, golden brown. When you remove them from the oil, immediately season with a heapin' helping of cayene pepper. Since you don't have a fryer, any deep skillet will do (cast iron will work best as it's the best conductor of heat).

For the sauce, mix a 2/3-to-1/3 ratio of your favorite hot sauce (I use Louisiana or Crystal, but Tabasco is OK, too) to butter. Sprinkle in a generous mix of garlic powder.

I normally serve mine (for parties) sans sauce and allow guests to use the appropriate juice for them -- hot sauce, honey bbq, or ranch/blue cheese.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

three bags, I'm gonna need an invite to your next party, thanks.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I hardly ever copy recipes. I just emailed myself this one. Those sound awesome.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Holy crap, some real strong suggestions here. Thanks a million. We'll see what happens.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I urge you to add a pinch of brown sugar to whatever hot sauce and butter mixture you use. Gives it a nice extra flavor.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Listen to Three_Bags. He knows what he's talking about.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I made these wings the other night and everyone loved them. I made one change--instead of regular salt in the dredge, I used Lawry's seasoned salt. Extra good. Thanks again three_bags!

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My wife and I decided to have a light dinner last night before going to the movies. Menu said, "Buffalo chicken salad." Now the last place I had a Buffalo chicken salad, they deep-fried breaded boneless pieces of chicken (I think it was thigh meat) till they were nice and crunchy and greasy, and coated them in Buffalo wings sauce, and it was great. This place, however, cut up some boneless, skinless breast meat (not breaded), squirted some Tabasco on it and threw it on the salad. Why bother then? Just shove a bottle of Tabasco at me and let me do it myself.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

can i get one, too? sounds tasty. last time i had good wings was when my friend cleve brought over his specialty. but he's gone back to cleveland (yeah, i know, cleve from cleveland, go figure) so i don't get good wings anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted