1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Send me a resume and a picture of your wife

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 31, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, there's a power move.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. The man is fucking winning football games at Vanderbilt. Think about that for a moment.

I think, all things considered, he's doing ok.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plus he made his bones as a recruiter. This is the way 16-18 year olds relate to the corpse of the English language. When you start producing results like Belicheck or Meyer, then you can turn into a clone. Vandy's been doing it the "safe" way for decades and that clearly isn't cutting it.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

James Franklin may say silly things, but he's a smart guy and a great recruiter/motivator. Was a good Xs and Os coordinator at Maryland, but not a good playcaller. He sure as hell got the most out of guys though. His charisma may stray in untoward directions sometimes, but you can learn to filter. He's going to be a pretty good head coach. Career coordinator my ass. Pete Carroll has the same energetic personality and he did ok. There's more than one way to win.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Franklin went 6-7, with one of the 6 being over Elon, and one of the 7 being to the worst Tennessee team in my lifetime; he's hardly the second coming of Gerry DiNardo or Watson Brown yet, much less Stoops or Snyder or Saban.

6. Double Down

In the last 27 years, Vanderbilt has won six games in a season exactly twice.

I'd say, degree of difficulty-wise, he's doing ok after just one year.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Coach Pry and Coach (teehee) Hand possess, um, recruiting assets, with Coach Hand adding the May-October aspect.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm a Vandy fan and I know the 6-7 record was fairly trumped up.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

TigerVols' ultimate dilemma: Who would you root for in a Vandy-BYU matchup?

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Vanderbilt addministration needs to get rid of this guy yesterday.

This potentially is worse than what Petrino did. With Petrino, it was pretty much a garden variety boss gets involved with an underling.

The problem with James is that, if you are associated with him as a superior or subordinate, how can you trust this guy? First, he made a comment that is three steps beyond stupidity. That isn't the worst thing.

What is worse is now you have the head coach checking out the ladies of assistant coaches. This causes assistant coaches to wonder everytime they go on the road. You create a situation where there is a concern about a woman not looking great if she decides to do something like... get pregnant.

With the hours coaches have to put in, that can be a strain on any marriage. This doesn't make things any easier.

There are plenty of coaches Vanderbilt can hire to run their program. Vanderbilt keeping James is asking for trouble.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

What he said was definitely out of line. Not really in the loop when it comes to this situation. Is there much of a groundswell about getting rid of him over it?

12. Double Down

Good lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted