1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senator's Father in Brawl With Football Coach!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Jun 12, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Well, many years ago.

New Minnesota senator Anne Klobuchar, in an interview with a Washington Post blogger named The Sleuth, tells of her Dad the columnist punching it out with Norm Van Brocklin:

SLEUTH: You're the daughter of a journalist. So does that make dealing with the unruly congressional press corps a little bit easier?

KLOBUCHAR: I might have what is probably a naïve trust of the press given that I grew up in a newspaper family. My dad was a sports writer when I was younger and then he became just a general columnist. But I grew up with him literally getting into brawls with football coaches. The Vikings football coach at the time, Norm Van Brocklin, in our living room - they got into a fist fight.

SLEUTH: And do you remember what the fist fight was over?

KLOBUCHAR: I have no idea. I think it involved some drinking. Back then. Now he doesn't drink.

The other thing I grew up...sometimes he wrote stories about our family. My most embarrassing moment was when I was 13 years old. And he was watching the Vikings game with me. There was an injury on the field. He said, 'What do you think it is?' I said, 'I think it's a groin injury.' He said, 'No, it's too serious, that's not what it is.' Well half an hour later they announce that this player had this serious groin injury.

So, two days later I'm walking into my little junior high school with my bag lunch and these boys are laughing while on the front page of the metro section of the newspaper was this huge headline: "Daughter, Age 13, Spots Groin Injury."

Draft saved Draft deleted