1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senator John Walsh's Thesis Presented Others’ Work as His Own

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Riptide takes similar bait so often, it's obvious he's just part of the act, trying to keep the sarcasm train rolling.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

War College needs to win a couple of battles to get off the bubble. Their RIP rating is not very high.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, he's out.

Has removed himself from November's election.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The ability to lie and cheat is now a prerequisite to hold public office.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Now?"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: Senator John Walsh's Thesis Presented Others’ Work as His Own

Why is he a guilty pleasure? He's one of our best. Some of you seem to have no concept of Internet beyond this board and a handful of news and sports sites.

7. I'll be honest ... But I am STUNNED he's stepped aside over plagiarism.
    There has to be more.
    Maybe it's because I've more cynical and such, but this - this?! - is what caused a US Senator to step down? That's it? Passing off someone else's work as his own? Isn't that what a politician does?
    Not fraud. Not misuse of funds. Not a real crime. Not an affair. This ...
    I get that this is serious - but not in a jail-time serious way. Wow.
    I dunno ... there has to be more, right?

8. YankeeFan

He hasn't "stepped down". He will finish out the term he was appointed to.

This has more to do with Montana politics. Walsh was not expected to win, but local folks were worried he would harm the Democratic ticket statewide.

Pressure was put on him to step aside. The party will now appoint a candidate, who will lose, but hopefully not as badly as Walsh would have.

If he was in a position to win, he would not have stepped aside, and Dems would not have called on him to do so.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

"If he was in a position to win, he would not have stepped aside."

Yup.

See David Vitter, Charlie Rangel, Scott DesJarlais... . If you have a safe seat, why the hell would you step down? Ever?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/07/scott-desjarlais-tennessee-primary_n_5659341.html

10. Ok. That makes sense.

11. YankeeFan

100%.

If you're in a completely safe seat, some might try to push you out. But no one wants to spend resources defending a seat that they otherwise wouldn't have too.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, anyone who has bet on the American voting public being outraged enough to vote out hypocrites has lost money.

Draft saved Draft deleted