1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Semiannual Daylight Saving Time complaining thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 12, 2022.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So what’s a long term stay in Australia like? What did enjoy most and what did you miss most while there?

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I enjoyed pretty much everything. I was in Sydney, which is my favorite city in the world. Clean, accessible transit, generally fantastic people, great vibe. Hanging out in a pub with a bunch of rugby fans is a great way to spend a Friday night.

Coffee in Sydney is amazing. So many options, all of them wonderful.

The one downside of Sydney: It’s not a great food city. The pandemic really kind of wiped out the mid-level restaurant, leaving either really expensive places or street food. I wasn’t used to needing a reservation for, like, regular dinner, and I can’t remember a restaurant I’d enthusiastically recommend.

I did travel a bit, to Cairns for a Great Barrier Reef tour (amazing); to Melbourne (great city, and the beaches to the west are spectacular), and spent some time in rural Victoria, which is a lot like the Midwest in which I grew up, just with a different accent.

When people found out I was American, the first question I usually got was, “Who’s your favorite NFL team?” Oddly, in rural Victoria, I met a group of … Kansas City Chiefs fans.

I can honestly say the only thing I really missed was Chipotle.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm kinda pissed. Just got some great new Raybans, and because of my work schedule, I'm usually driving to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. Never get to wear them.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Should be noted that the reservations in Arizona are on DST, which makes your usual Flagstaff to Tuba City trip in the summer very strange.

2muchcoffeeman and MileHigh like this.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

“Not only am I getting fed an hour late, now the trees are falling apart.”
    C82E5B09-FA6E-4C29-936E-F2CF48B3813D.jpeg

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Closed the bedroom curtains and shutters, making it as dark as possible. I woke up before dogs. Success.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Phenix City, Alabama, across the line from Columbus, Ga., stays on Eastern time.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Unofficially, yes. By letter of the law, they are still on Central. The school zone speed limit signs there have the time zone stamped on them in addition to the hours.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

They didn't have no Outback Steakhouse?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Australia?

Guten Tag, Kumpel!

[​IMG]

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Loved Sydney, a lot.We actually thought about moving there but quarantining the dogs for six months was a dealbreaker. Seemed like a big deal then, it really wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

A highlight was going to a pub for Tuesday Afternoon Football. Kickoff at noon on Tuesday and most folks just took the rest of the day off. They love the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted