1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selling (one of a few) Childhood Home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Mar 22, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Stepdad built the house on weekends and after work and finished when I was 13. So was there from 13-18. Parents started living to the city about 15 yrs ago and permanently moved there about 5 yrs ago. So now I'm in charge of getting it sold.

Its a little different because the house before, when I was 9-13, held fonder memories for me because that was in a tract home neighborhood with my buddies over the fence or around the corner. This one was on some land my dad bought and about 10 miles out of town. Still, is the place where my kids visited when they were young, they first got up on a bike on their street.

I'm attacking this totally without any sentimentality, just want to clear everything out and get sold. Feels a bit weird. I guess I thought I would have a bit more emotion.

You ever go through this before?

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I wanted to buy my childhood house almost 20 years ago when my parents decided to move into the country. I wanted a cheap place to escape Jersey. They would not sell it to me because they said it needed too much work and, instead, sold it to a neighbor who flips them.

Within two years, every tree had been removed from the property, including the big climbing tree at the end of the driveway, replaced with much and picket fences. The giant lawn was covered by a giant deck and above-ground swimming pool. Gray siding replaced the white. Larger windows were installed.

It still remains unrecognizable.

824241DC-7B52-4F5B-A9D1-562A2ED44C3D.jpeg

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My dad died 13 months ago. After months of hauling away clutter, we put my childhood home on the market Feb. 17, had an offer the next day, and close this week.

Purchased for $8,000 in 1954, an 850 sf dollhouse expanded to a whopping 1,300 square feet in 1974. Best part of the remodel? A 30x30 basketball court in the back yard.

It may scream 70s, but I still love the wall paneling from the 1974 remodel.

wall1.jpg wall2.jpg

britwrit and lakefront like this.
  4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

My grandfather built his own house around 1955. My grandmother still lives in there - she refuses care, so she will die in that house. None the less, there are already many people wanting the land, and when it does go on the market, it will probably sale for a couple of million dollars.

maumann and exmediahack like this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Doing it now for my wife, but she didn’t grow up in the home.

Doing 15 years of upgrades and repairs in two months.

Where it is, the real estate market if crazy. This home could go for 550 or 850. We have no idea.

Two cleared acres north of Charlottesville with a pool and a full basement. Big house.

maumann likes this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just looked up the house I grew up in, my folks bought it for $42,000 about 60 years ago. Sold last year for $720,000.

My dad put in a fireplace, a wet bar and a ton of bookshelves in the rec room downstairs. Bar and bookshelves gone now. But the redone kitchen looks great.

maumann likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My parents built a 5-bedroom, 2100 SF house in 1964 (I was 5) for $36,000 in what was then a farmland outskirts area of a college town.
    The contractor allowed my parents a lot of input on how the house was to be built; they suggested stairway placement, laundry chute location, etc etc. I was even consulted on how I wanted my bedroom to look: I sketched out the closet, bookcases, bed location, etc etc. (My sister, then 2, suggested she wanted the walls in her room to be pink.)
    So they built the house, and our family (3 more kids arrived over the next 12 years) has lived in it ever since. I moved out in the late 70s, my siblings one by one during the 80s, and my youngest sister left for college in 1992, leaving my parents alone in the house.
    My mom died in early 1994 and over the next 6 years three of us took turns living in the house with dad for a few months to give him an occasional hand.
    Dad eventually died in early 2001; the house comprised the bulk of his estate.
    By that time my youngest sister was married, with two kids of her own, and in law school.
    As the oldest, I had been designated by dad as the executor, but my brother (10 years younger) had an MBA and had been managing a business for 10 years, so Dad had accepted my recommendation that he be named the formal executor.
    Bro and Dad suggested that Sis and hubby buy the house from the estate at a formally appraised price, so all five siblings would benefit equally from the house.
    So the house built for $36K in 1964 ended up selling in 2002 for $225,000.
    After Dad died, we spent most of the summer of 2002 doing a down to the drywall remodeling job -- there really hadn't been any substantial remodeling work done since 1964. That cost about $40 grand all told, but it was worth it; the place was fixed up awesome.
    So now it's 2022 and my sister's nest is starting to empty out, too. Her oldest just turned 22, is about to graduate with 3 bachelor's degrees, the next oldest will be 20 next month and is a junior In college herself.
    They have twins now freshmen in high school and a sixth grader bringing up the rear. So I guess in another decade, Sis and Hubby will be coming up on a decision on what to do with the house; by that time it'll be 70 years since our family moved in.

maumann likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was going to write some long post about the three houses we lived in while I was growing up, but I looked up the first on Zillow and had a trippy experience. We moved out in March 1986 and I can still see every inch of it how it was. It sold last year (for probably 10 times what my parents paid for it in the early 1970s) so there is a photo gallery on Zillow. Seeing how it's been remodeled and modernized, but still has some of the same landmarks, is strange. My dad had a bar and pool table in the basement, and I had my own miniature pool table. I can still see that whole layout when I look at those pictures. And then seeing the bedroom I slept in until I was 9 ... it's weird.

Still not nearly as surreal as seeing what happened to House No. 3, though. This was the one I really came of age in, and can never go back to now.

Mom killed, 2 daughters injured in house collapse in Hamilton

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Whoa... did your family own it when the first popping sounds were heard?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Zillow can be pretty freaky to check out your early childhood home.
    I looked up the house my parents lived in before 1964; I haven't set foot in the place since the weekend of my 6th birthday. But I remember how the stairway looked down into the living room, and a really cool paneled glass doorway leading into the kitchen.
    They have remodeled the bathroom; the old school claw foot cast iron bathtub is gone and they've put in a shower unit. They (well, somebody since 1964) also tore down a drafty old "Florida room" porch on the back of the house (that was only habitable about half the year) and replaced it with a cool wooden deck. So thumbs up on that project.
    They still have the "Michigan basement," an ominous, gloomy, half-dirt floor dungeon, where 57 years ago, my dad had to pour buckets of water into the furnace every three or four days to keep it running properly.
    My parents bought that house in 1955 for $8,000, and sold it in '64 for $14K.
    Funny enough, one of my sisters is retiring and looking for a house, and entirely independent of everything else, the house came up in her search. It's now on the market for $102,000.
    We all had a good laugh, but she never lived there; she was born four years after we moved out. She's never set foot in the joint. So to her it's just another house.

Batman likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, that would have been about five or six years after we moved out. I left for good in 1998, and my parents moved out about a year later. We rented the house. My mom said the owners offered to let her buy it in 1999-2000, but she passed for a couple of different reasons.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Both my parents are getting up in years, and, unless they leave it to my kids, I'm pretty sure they're leaving their house to me. Naturally, I'm dreading that day.

We moved in when I was five. I still have a memory of my parents looking at the empty place with a guy, and the living room rug was rolled up. I got bored because I had no clue what my parents and the guy were talking about, laid my head on the rolled up rug and fell asleep. Woke up a while later feeling refreshed, couldn't find my parents, and saw them outside meeting the neighbors.

They've renovated the kitchen, and I think they're planning on doing some more work now. They installed a second bathroom downstairs with the kitchen renovation in the early 90s. My parents bought their house in 1978 for about $28K, and now, Zillow has it worth somewhere around $250K. When they go, I'm hoping my Oldest will want to move in and pay (a reduced) rent to me; otherwise I might rent it out for a while and see if I'm OK with being a landlord. I'm thinking it might be hard to see someone else who isn't a family member living there, though.

Prior to that, we lived in an apartment area on the grounds of a school for troubled kids, where my Dad worked as a maintenance man after he graduated from that school. The apartment was attached to an old stone building. We moved, both because my parents bought the house, and because the school was closing and converting to a substance abuse treatment center. Our apartment became offices, and my Mom had to go there a few years later for something, and said it was weird seeing our place as offices. A few years after that, our ex-apartment caught fire and burned, although the stone building was fine. The fire actually made 1-A of our local paper.

Last year, when my Dad was sick, my Mom and I visited him in the hospital, and, on our drive back, we were passing the old school grounds. We took a detour, and saw that the old stone building was still looking nice as a residence. It was a nice little trip down memory lane.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted